ThreeFold Product Updates - November 2022

ThreeFold Product Updates - November 2022

:wave: Hi ThreeFold Community!

My name is Sasha from ThreeFold’s Product Management, and this week, I would like to give an update on current ThreeFold Product Updates for November 2022. Let’s take a close look on what the development team has accomplished, and what we are still working on to complete so far. Please check ThreeFold Product Updates - October 2022 if you need a reminder of new features we have previously announced last month.

:exclamation: Please be aware that this serves as a product development progress highlight, and is not a release note. The products below are not yet released: they are still being developed. Changes in release priorities can happen within November, thus the upcoming release note may differ somewhat from the content of this update.

ThreeFold Mastodon-Focused Community Call Recording

Yesterday we held a community call to discuss the latest developments around ThreeFold x Mastodon, and what’s upcoming. Take a look at the recording and be sure to continue the conversation in our Fediverse category. Onward. Together we build!

:construction_worker_man: :construction_worker_woman: TFGrid V3.8.0 Features Highlight

Some exciting new features of TFGrid products are being worked on and tested as part of the next v3.8.0 release, such as:

:zap: TFPlayGround v1.7.0 - Deploy your own Mastodon Server

On the upcoming release of TFPlayground v1.7.0, users will be able to deploy their own Mastodon server via TFPlayground. Exciting news for all of us :smile:

:zap: TFGrid v3.8.0 Power Management Feature

The energy cost of a node is in all occurrences something to take into account, but nowadays and especially in Europe, it is of vital importance for the viability of the grid itself. With the current energy price hikes, we want to find a way to do better power management – one such way is to add an ability to power off nodes on the grid when not being used.

Powering off a node should be straightforward: When a node has no workload at all, it can be shut down. This can be managed with a smarter provisioning scheme within a farm, where one node - the Power Master - elected within a farm will always be on, and other nodes will run in a follower mode, listening to shutdown events.

:zap: On-Chain Support for Third-party Billing

On the next upgrade of TFGrid, we will be adding on-chain support for third-party billing’s contract creation. A contract will function as a simple client - server principle (i.e. a contract in between a “customer” of a service and one who “offers” the service).

Once a contract is accepted by both the customer and the service, the chain can start accepting “bill reports” from the service for the contract automatically. When the bill is received, the chain calculates the contract fee, and this amount is transferred from the consumer’s twin account to the service’s twin account.

tl;dr People can begin receiving payments for services they build on the grid!

:zap: Improved Capacity Planning over TFChain

A better capacity planning mechanism will be implemented on chain as a way to deploy contracts more efficiently. In brief, with the new scheme, the chain would be able to calculate, set up and choose the best choice on how node deployment contracts are going to be made, based on required resources, policy, and node status.

:zap: Freeflow Twin v1.7.0 - New Social Media Profile

On the upcoming release of FF Twin v1.7.0 user would be able to add more details to ther social media profile via Dashboard, such as their location, birthday, and bio description (all optional).

What’s Next?

Again, I would like to remind the community that this is a progress update highlight, not a release note, and it doesn’t cover the whole project. Changes in priorities can happen within November 2022 as announced, thus the upcoming release might differ from the content of this update.

Did not see the update you’re looking for? Perhaps it’s because we have mentioned them in ThreeFold Product Updates - October 2022..

Stay tuned on the ThreeFold forum for our next product update. I will be back to talk more in-depth about one of our specific products in the next TF Product Focus series, and announce the official Release Note on my next post, once the official TFGrid v3.8.0 is released (exact date TBD).

We’d like to also invite you to join our TFGrid Tester Community telegram channel to meet other community members, test our products, receive new product updates and announcements, and start some conversations on our new improvements, and many more.

Love and Gratitude,

Sasha Astiadi

ThreeFold Product Management

5 Likes