What will happen if somebody will try to host illegal content on ThreeFold Grid?

I thought cryptpad was decentralized! I’ll have to look more into this.

Decentralized only in the sense that everything is apparently e2e encrypted but still requiring a centralized server to manage sessions and storage from what I gather.

…documents, chats, and files are unreadable outside of the session where you are logged in. Even the service administrators do not have access to your information.

1 Like

Seems the discussion of this important topic has ended without any meaningful results.

Having a legal professional look at all of this still seems like a great idea to me! Unfortunately not much progress was made with the linked document. I don’t think we can hand it over to a legal advisor in this state.

If we could somehow move forward again on this that would be awesome. Farmers need to know the responsibilities and risks involved as well as potential mitigation solutions. Otherwise I doubt serious farming on more than a server in the basement level can ever really be a viable business mode. It’s just too risky for famers and also for grid customers relying on those farmers to keep their workloads up and running.

4 Likes

I will come back to his and revive the thread. Thanks for pushing this thread.

2 Likes

If somebody host illegal content on ThreeFold Grid is their problem, ok?
I think ThreeFold Grid is agnostic on content and uncensored. More, the store system is cryptographic and shattered acros the grid. Don’t worry.
Neither the core team of ThreeFold must loose is precious team in answear again, and again and again those questions, please! If you are affraid don’t enter the wagoon, keep lost! The core team must be worried that ThreeFold is up to the dream of an internet of the people for the people. And really has a lot to do, given the irrelevance of TFT token.

TF developpers could shuflle IPs, in a kind of VPN by default.

You are painfully mistaken. The data is not sharded in 90+% of deployments and ips are permanently tied to the farm they are with because they use the farmer’s infrastructure. If someone hosts illegal content it can be found and come back to the farmer.

Would mandatory gateways alleviate this to some degree?

A gateway would just change who gets the first call from the fbi to the one hosting the gateway instead of the person hosting the workload. This is why my gateways no longer exist, if that call came I would have zero way to identify where the illegal content is coming from or any information at all for them…

And idk about you but I’ve never seen “that ain’t mine and I don’t know whose it is” work in criminal defense.

The ability for farmers to stop a Workload was promised a long long time ago. There was a time that my gateways were moving traffic at interest packing levels for awhile. They were saturating the full five gigabit pipe in both directions making me concerned for bot activity.

In the long run I was able to find the cause and it was innocent, but that was a complete coincidence because that deployer reached out to me for help with their deployments, comically, unaware that I was his host.

This another topic that should be flying past new tokenomics, we are missing the fundamentals trying to get to fancy. I know the devs can fix these issues, but they have to be tasked with making it front page news.

Maybe you very right. That way is painfull.
“Internet by the People, for the People” becomes an empty promise.