Power saving feature in development for farmers

I would not be surprised with some older servers with a lot of ram that needs checking R820 with 704GB of ram takes a while so a R920 with nearly twice as much will take way longer to fully boot and load zos

I have 14 M900 Tiny’s and 2 M93p which I have been using since 2019 and before that there were used by an insurance company for a few years, not had any issues running the M900’s with 64gigs of ram. Maybe there are a lot of Lemons floating around the US market and ebay or it could be those cheap ripsaws people were buying. All of mine are running on Crucial DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Laptop Memory.

Almost certainly this.

I’m not sure how big the actual image is, but if it was local it’d get shipped at 10gbit or 40gbit on my nodes that’d be pretty freaking cool.

Since Kristof made it very clear, that the WoL feature doesn’t require a tpm Chip and is availabe for every node on the grid my personal feeling about the project is getting more positive again.
I really appreciate that step but have to say it would have been easy to make this Informationen available for the community weeks ago. It could have caused a lot of nodes to be knocked out which would have been really bad for the overall grid.

Now that we are clear about it, it would be nice to have some further information. Some of our questions to plan where to put our servers and calculate the electricity would be.

If I’m really wrong, please correct me, I’m assuming the grid 3.8.0 including WoL Power saving Feature will launch sometime around December…?

How many master nodes have to be online per Farm?

Is there a limit to the number of slave nodes in a farm?

How do we set which nodes the masternotes will be and what hardware requirements do they have to meet?

I read it is planed to boot up the slave nodes regularly. At what intervals are the slave nodes booted up to check whether they are still there, will there be a period or fixed time here?

This would be important to ensure that the power supply can withstand simultaneous booting with many nodes and for the people who keep their nodes at home it would be interesting to know if they have to brace themselves for a jet plane taking off under their bed during the night or the day.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

I’m also sure the community appreciates any information about WoL, also beyond my questions.

5 Likes

I think a lot of your questions have answers in the issues that is being worked on. Specifically in this section: https://github.com/threefoldtech/home/issues/1303#issuecomment-1283716997

First, let’s please not perpetuate the “slave” metaphor for describing roles in technical systems. Besides evoking human relationships that should be in our past as a species, it’s also simply the wrong way to think about how the nodes operate under the new structure. TF Chain actually takes the coordinating role in deciding the states of all nodes. The “leader” nodes are really just responsible for relaying the wake up signals to “sleeping” or “standby” nodes.

Now, I do think we’re due for an update and I’ve seen some of the same questions coming up in the chats:

• The majority of work required on TF Chain to bring this feature live has been completed. There’s still work to be done on integrating it into the front ends, and of course, testing. Having the feature live on mainnet in December is probably optimistic, but possible

• Any farm with two or more nodes in the same LAN can take advantage of this feature. So only one leader node is required and there’s no limit to the number of standby nodes

• Leader nodes will be chosen by a simple set of criteria, but there is no consideration of hardware specs. Any node can do this job

• Farmers will be able to prevent nodes from going to sleep, in case they have nodes that don’t support WoL or just don’t want their nodes to power off

• Nodes will wake up at randomized times, which will also be staggered throughout the grid to prevent stress on the servers that nodes download Zos from. There’s a request in the GitHub issue to have nodes only wake up during day time, but no word from the devs yet if this can or will be implemented

8 Likes

Last update on Power Management - https://t.me/threefoldfarmers/53640

1 Like

A farmbot will replace the power management and capacity management as per the new GitHub here - https://github.com/threefoldtech/home/issues/1371

1 Like