Power saving feature in development for farmers

I just realized that maybe making a minimum requirements for every farm master would be enough than rather keeping other nodes always on :smirk:
Let’s say minimum could be 4/6/8CU.
Multiplied by number of nodes could give some good buffering power :wink:

Yes, no reason to power down nodes in a Datacenter, the monthly fee includes the electricity.

You misread, TF’s flagship 3node was a NUC.

Didn’t misread… comments were made on ‘250usd NUCs’ and exactly, I was thinking of the TF 3node indeed…

ok, I see the comment you are referring to. The idea is that having all these super powerful and redundant servers be at the mercy of a M900 which are not always the most reliable. He was correct, that’s the weakest link.

Oh, they are not reliable? I thought they were… I read that these things had run with quite a few ppl for years without any hickup…

Might have to rethink my strategy…

On occasion they just don’t like running 64gb of RAM. Pretty much 100% uptime otherwise, but there is no redundancy. I wouldn’t rethink your stagedy, just be aware you may have a “lemon” from time to time. Those go back on ebay.

Not here. It’s paid afterwards in addition depending on usage

oof, part of the package here.

That’s you?! :flushed:

Exactly. And even then, ‘green’ doesn’t mean just ‘lower costs’. Energy not used is better, even if you don’t pay for it.

AH ok. I’m also looking at a refurbished HP device with an i3 or i5.

Feel free to DM me the link if you want me to look at it.

There are not much dc’s herein Netherlands that work like that.

I pay per kWh. And would definitely want my nodes on WOL. Saves about $300 monthly

I don’t see a reason for that. Nodes are still on grid right.

Cores online still says the same not?

That’s just more power consuming.

And I think you don’t understand the concept. If your 1st node is full it will deploy on another in Farm.

It’s a bit weird if you deploy on ID 19 in United States and end up in Italy. You choose a node based on its resources and location.

No one wants to wait 20 minutes for their VM to be up. It makes sense for there to be some nodes booted and ready to go in each region.

2 Likes

Does it take 20min to boot though? My nodes boot in less than 5 min…

Plus, I wouldn’t be too worried abt ppl having to wait a bit when deploying VM. Waiting time can be limited for instance by first selecting the node you want (system boots after that immediately) and only then you can make all the settings for the VM. By the time you’re finished with setting up your node and ready to deploy, the node is booted already.

Besides, it’s a great marketing talking point too: nothing runs for nothing…so when choosing Threefold, you’re choosing Green :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My r920 with 1tb ram and 120 threads boots around 15-20min… it has to check the ram before start and it has lots of it

1 Like

But are we buying new small nodes to get as less watt as possible?

If would then chose for 2 nodes on. So 1 in front.

Then you wel never get this problem.

If you have a larger farm that’s consistent in build spec per node, just leave a percentage of unutilized nodes powered up along with the ones that are utilized.

For example, a farm has 100 nodes. 20 are utilized, the other 80 are not. Have 1-5 (or however many a farmer chooses) unutilized nodes powered up so they’re ready for a new contract to come along. If a new contract takes the resources from 2 nodes, a script kicks in to power up 2 more nodes so you always have a number of the farmer’s choosing at the ready for more contracts.

1 Like