How to set-up your own 3Node

interestingly, I got the node on Mainnet up and running in a few minutes.
I created a new Twin on Testnet and created a testnet-Farm.
The node there fails to register, with an interestinf error message:
“…Transaction is temporarily banned”
20220123_231550

20220123_231453
Strange message…

I think there’s an issue with testnet TF Chain. The Polkadot UI seems unable to connect.

Thanks for reporting @pkgraz2. I’ll open an issue for this.

Can we please sunset or modify the title of this thread? It is messing up newbies since the main post is outdated.

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I added a note to the top with an intention to come back and edit with Grid 3 instructions. I think editing the title might change the slug and break any links here, so I’ll just clear out the Grid 2 info for now.

1 Like

Hi all. I have followed all the V3 instructions diligently and made sure I created the correct bootstrap image for production etc, but when I boot - I still get the “node is not registered” message in red, even though it has recognised my farmer ID and name.

Alt-F2 says “failed to get node from twin: node not found” but I cannot see how to create a node twin within the polkadot interface. I have managed to create the farm - just not the node?!

Any help would be fantastic please.

Hey there, the node twin is actually created by the node itself and this process can take a bit to complete. How long have you waited at that message? Did you wipe the disks before booting?

Hi Scott. Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I have left it overnight so it’s been about 10 hours?! Yes I wiped the drive, although it was brand new. I have tried to rebuild it a few times as initially I used Go Farmer - which gave a different Farm ID, this Farm ID wasn’t recognised. I then created new bootstrap media using v3 having created a twin farm, entered the new farm ID - now the farm ID is recognised but not the node. I didn’t re-wipe the drive between rebuilds. Any advice would be great please?!

Best is to have a look into what is happening with the node. Did you try to connect a monitor to your node to see what is happening ? Alt-F2 to see the logging.

IMG_20220128_081446__01

Hi Geert - its been pretty consistent over night - see above screenshot. Cheers

Sorry to be a pain @Geert and @scott - but any ideas based on the screenshot please?

It is a long shot but did you update the BIOS before moving to version 3?

Hi @stanikzai - Are you referring to the BIOS for the endpoint device that I am using? i.e. Lenovo M900 Tiny.

UPDATE - Thanks all for your help. I have re-wiped and rebuilt and it works! Whoop whoop!

3 Likes

Glad to hear it! Just to be clear, did you end up updating the BIOS?

No, didn’t touch the BIOS, I just re-wiped the drive and rebuilt from my boot media :man_shrugging:t3:

Yes I was referring to that. I heard that you have to update BIOS if you want to install version three there. I am glad it worked for you. keep an eye on the system.

Good to know. My hunch is that wiping the disks restarts the registration process, which seems to be getting stuck for some reason. I’ll see if we can get to the root of this.

Hi Threefold People,

I have set up a DIY node, the installation of ZeroOS went smoothly, the node was registered in my farm and I was able to see it on the explorer.
When I tested the “reboot process” without the USB stick, I got the follow message:
“Operating System missing”
Any hint?
Thanks a lot
N.

Hey there, and congrats on your node :slight_smile: Zos does not actually install itself locally, so you’ll need to leave the USB stick connected. See this post for more details: Booting Zero-OS, should we leave the USB key in?

1 Like