How to clear disks for DIY 3Nodes?

I hear this from time to time. Not sure why some systems won’t boot grml, but I still like it as a first choice due to the small download size (400mb for the small version versus 1.4gb even for Ubuntu server edition).

This is a great question. After running some experiments here, I think the best way to check is running fdisk -l again. Specifically, you’re looking for the Disklabel type field. A totally clear disk won’t display any label type. If you see one, the process wasn’t successful.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing about your experience. I’ll update this posts with some clarifications based on what you wrote.

2 Likes

Yes, good point. The exception would be any distro that auto mounts other drives. I would suspect this to be the case for most any full desktop distro, whereas it is not the case for grml.

Hey @renauter

I too wanted to check if wiping my disks was done properly.

Here’s a post I wrote with some command lines to make sure it’s OK. Basically there’s many ways to find out:

For example:

Then to double check if the SSD was indeed only composed of zeroes, I used:

cmp /dev/sda /dev/zero

this line should give
cmp: EOF on /dev/sda

if there’s only zeroes on disk.

Basically a clear wiped disk will have:

wiped disk = no label, no partition, no filesystem, all zeroes

As Nelson said, I think you did wipe properly your disks though.

Do you still have trouble booting your 3node? If your 3node booted fine it means the wiping of the disks worked. Double check on the explorer if the 3node’s resources fit. (correct quantity of RAM + ssd, etc.)

explorerv3.grid.tf

Happy Farming!

1 Like