GEP Gold Certified Farming Specs (CLOSED)

That’s not good enough since the PSU can fail. Only 2 PSU switches. If you are using a 1 PSU router, there should be two setup in HA mode with each power cord going to opposite power rail. No one has built up a large stash of 1 PSU rack mount servers yet so I don’t think that will get any pushback.

2 Likes

Here is what our setup looks like (don’t know if this is representative for what you’re looking for):

• 1 rack = 46U
  • 8U needed for switches (3x), routers (2x), DC gateway (1x), cabel management (2x)
  • 38U left for 3nodes

server specs:

• 1U rack space
  • 40 threads (2x CPU)
  • 320 GB memory
  • 4 TB SSD storage (1x drive)
  • 7 bays left for additional storage (X)

theoretical total capacity (38 nodes): 1520 vCPUs, 12160 GB RAM, 152 TB SSD storage + (X)

outdated!
In my opinion the certain amount of CU should not be set to high because there migth be other limiting conditions (apart from rack space) to be considered. For example in our case we can only use 33 nodes at the moment because of limited power supply and cooling capacity per rack. So actually we are running at 1312 vCPUs, 10496GB RAM and 138,8TB SSD storage.
outdated!

Edit: I forgot that we fixed that in the meantime by monitoring power consumption and heat emission via LOM and report this to the DC guys. The rack is fully piled up now running 38x 3nodes with 1512 vCPUs, 12096GB RAM and 158,8 TB SSD.

According to the result of the farming calculator the CU for this setup is approx. 3000.

Kristof is right that 1 per user would be easy to cheat and in reality its about fairness to the grid, not the provider. But since 1 per town should be revised to one per some ‘yet to be determined population density/area unit’ that would provide ample opportunities for additional racks. Otherwise someone will just call dibs on Chicago.

3 Likes

So, the racks Dany and I have each put together would not be eligible then?

I guess what we are trying to achieve here is to not have:

• one farmer create a gazillion certified racks because she/he is well funded.
  • to have certified racks in close proximity.

The decentralisation notion needs to be retained, in farmer / owner as well as geography. For a recent personal project I have figured out that a reasonable (not a 100% accurate, but still reasonable) location assessment is: curl ipinfo.io

For me this gives:

{
  "ip": "2.50.94.11",
  "city": "Dubai",
  "region": "Dubai",
  "country": "AE",
  "loc": "25.0772,55.3093",
  "org": "AS5384 Emirates Telecommunications Corporation",
  "timezone": "Asia/Dubai",
  "readme": "https://ipinfo.io/missingauth"
}

And this is probably the location of the regional ISP pop. This is independent of number of people, population density, etc etc, but this could allow us to specific that “no more than x certified racks in a circle with a 1 (or more) miles radius around an existing one”. This way, anyone can claim their “circle” and it does keep the decentralisation spirit, in people and distribution.

Nerd approach: the approximate net surface areas of landmass in the world is approx. 148,300,000 sq km having the definition of 1 per 5-mile circle (50 square km patch) still allows for almost 3 million installations… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well… I hope that “initially” and “approved by DAO” means that we (community/DAO) will have to agree on other manufacturers apart from HPE and ThreeFold to be approved for use of Gold Certified Farming. I can’t see why serves from DELL, IBM, INTEL and others would’t keep up. I assume what is meant here is that any self put together serverlike hardware assemblies shall not be used for gold certified farming.

I mean the particular servers @FLnelson and I are going to use are pretty powerfull and even more reliable. Also they have a great balance in power consumption and heat emission to performance and redundance/reliability. We did performance and health tests on every maschine and have comparable data to similar HPE servers (which we also use) and there is nothing that wouldn’t keep up.

@kristof: Maybe you can give your thougths on this and help us clarifying.

2 Likes

I would say them getting them new from TF or HPE is the optimal setup, but as long as they meet some requirements (no older than Dell 12th Gen or HP 8th gen, etc, etc) they should be able to be certified by one of the approved certifiers as described in the other post.

2 Likes

We currently have 2 x 100MB connections. If usage increases I’m happy to upgrade them but ideally won’t add that additional expense until that is actually needed. Could we add some kind of usage trigger?

1 Like

I feel that IPv4 addresses are still some blocker to drive usage, do you have any already available on grid3 ?

1 Like

I could expand my public block and make some available, is there Anywhere that explains how I would configure them?

I’ve got 2.5 gigabit spread across 3 nodes.

1 Like

yes agree should indeed change this

1 Like

agree, we should come up with some certification process, will be for later will add this to the proposal

4 Likes

I’d add a requirement for gold certified, which is that these farmers run at least 1 TFChain / L1 validator node. After all, they have full interest in securing the network.

3 Likes

Will there also be lower tiers of certifications? I personally have high quality internet and equipment… but I wasn’t planning to put them in a high level tier datacenter…

Since the poll is approved now… what are the next steps here? pretty much can’t wait to apply.

Was planning on sending some units I was prepping tonight to my cabinet at my preferred DC, though have access to several. Bandwidth makes me laugh. I have a 40Gbps port. And blocks of IP’s are cheap, relatively, but not cheap enough to pay for themselves on three fold yet. But if my farming yields went up 50%, I can provide some IP’s….

2 Likes

After the informations about goldfarming are updated with the community feedback it still says initially HPE & ThreeFold when it comes to the recognized vendors. Please confirm, that’s this includes DELL as well…
Is there any time schedule about implementing goldfarming rewards into the grid and when to start the verification process?

He refers to HPE because there is some kind of memo between them to supply servers.

Now that voting is closed, will this GEP be implemented in time for minting June’s tokens?

I expect it will still take some time for certification process and all details to be worked out, probably not in time for June’s minting.

I’m in favor of not requiring farmers to hit bandwidth requirements upfront. This adds some complexity in terms of needing to monitor/enforce, however, and also needing to define what is the threshold.

Head to the farm management section of the portal, expand your farm, then expand public IPs section and hit Add IP. Specify addresses using CIDR format and add the gateway too. Thanks :+1:

1 Like