FAQ Zero-OS v3 Part 1: General, User, Developer and Validator

Also, at least on my browser, it’s pinned but not to the to top of the page. There’s just a pin there allowing me to put it in the top of the page. That doesn’t really help anyone find it. Can we just give Mike mod status?

I’ll look into that (because I don’t know how that works… :slight_smile: )

Looked at it - mik is now trustlevel 4… Please check if this does the trick.

2 Likes

I confirm that I am now trustlevel 4. I won’t let you down guys!

So I’ll try and see if I can get this post to accept 99k characters and not 32k, then I’ll update the FAQ with many new Q+A.

Let’s New Internet.

3 Likes

If possible, it would be good to have some guidance on the hardware requirement for the weblets. I know deploying Presearch instances requires some hard drive capacity (HDD). In other words it will not deploy if you have SDD alone. Don’t know about the other weblets. but it could be they may also have specific hardware requirements. If this is outside the scope of an FAQ may be there could a separate guide and then a link here.

2 Likes

Thanks for this proposition.

It would fit in the User FAQ. (Soon updated online)

I will take this into account. We would need to gather all the information like the one you just said.

I’ll add the Presearch detail in the User FAQ and we can add more as people share their knowledge as you did.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Mik. Here is some background

;presearch node weblet

1 Like

A HDD is not necessary, and it will deploy when only having SSD for the weblet presearch. A public ip however is necessary.

Hi, I was reading through this to get some information about running a presearch node using threefold. I am a little surprised about the amount suggested to hold to run one node for 3 years, 5000TFT. To start one is only 2 TFT, but how much is actually needed from that suggested 5000TFT? To compare this to known VPS services, 2 options I am looking into are Vultr which will cost me $5/month and racknerd which will cost me about $23/year. 5000TFT is at current price worth $235/3years. If that amount is truly needed then I do not see this as an option because its more expensive. Can there be a better description of the cost to run one?

1 Like

Thanks @jefke1 for the great feedback and suggestion.

This 5000TFT amount might indeed be too much, and it was only based on 1 feedback from a TF user. It would be great to have a more precise number for this.

I’ll try and ask the TF community if anyone tried the Presearch node and the real cost to run on the TF Grid.

Then I could update the FAQ.

EDIT:
@jefke1

As Geert M wrote in the TG channel, deploying a Presearch node on TF Grid on mainnet would be 4.4 USD/month, this is with the 60% discount. To get the 60% discount, you need to have TFT in your wallet. The TFT can be withdrawn at any time, it isn’t locked (see documentation hyperlinked).

So you’d get a better deal with TF instead of Vultr (4.4$ < 5$), but racknerd at 23$/year is very competitive.

EDIT 2: Also note @jefke1 that you can deploy the Presearch node on testnet, in this case it would be around 2.2$USD per month. So it would be 26.4$USD for one year. This is very close to the 23$/year of racknerd.

Please also consider the following: The 23 USD per year is for a specific VPS in a few locations: “RackNerd’s KVM VPS solutions! KVM VPS in Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, New Jersey, New York, Ashburn, and Amsterdam Instantly Provisioned.”

If many provisioned in the racknerd datacenters it does not help presearch to be decentralized, the IP addresses included in the offering are probably all part of the same /x network which will result in the /x network being blocked (eventually).

On another note: Specs for this VPS: 512 MB RAM, 1 vCore, 15 GB, RAID-10 SSD Cached 500 GB, ,1Gbps 1, Free IP. are not very expensive on the grid. If someone (or a group) takes on the “provisioning” service effort and tokens are put in a single account for 36 months of presearch deployment Discount Levels

With the deployment being approx. 0.05 per hour -> 36 TFT per month -> 2160 TFT’s put in a single account you get 60% discount ( which makes it 36TFT * 12 months * 60% discount = 175 TFT per annum). If you buy the tokens now, the operational costs will be a lot lower than the 23USD of racknerd.

2 Likes

What you describe (IP addresses blocked for Racknerd nodes) is what is already happening there right now, forcing Presearch to move all Racknerd nodes to their testnet, with lower reward as a consequence.

1 Like

Thanks @weynandkuijpers

Could you please give the details of the exact specs you would choose to get the 0.05 TFT per hour for the presearch node?

I would add it in the documentation. Thanks

TF seems to be hard to beat with what you mention here!

EDIT: on the Forum Coesens Bert suggests

• 1 GB of RAM
  • 10 GB of storage
  • 1 CPU