Adding public IPv4’s to your current provider

Hello, I just made this post since we need a LOT more ip’s.

I think it’s the current think we need a lot of right now to make deployment easy.

Regarding we have a ~1000+ right now and almost 2700 nodes I think we need at least that and actually more (because there will be used more one 1 deployment).

I found a company in NL that rents out these IP’s in a routed subnet to use them on any provider. The only requirements are:

• Router support GRE tunnel

And off course setting up the router. This will be with some help of potentially you that wan’t to help and grow TF by a reaction on this thread.

The price now lays around $1.15 per IPv4 per month with a max throughput of 1Gbit/s. I think not much people go over that but if that’s the case that might cause a plafond.

It’s also possible to rout public IPv6’s this might also come in handy in the future but for this thread the focus is on IPv4.

1 Like

I’m interested in this topic. I wonder if using a service like this from Portugal to NL would be possible or would introduce much latency.

Hello @nooba. What @teisie has identified is that there is a Dutch company that rents you a subnet (group of IP addresses from a minimal number of IP’s, upwards in multiples, … , 32, … 256) that can be routed in any network. You can rent the IP’s from this company and then ask you local provider in Portugal to route this block of IP addresses.

These addresses would become “Portuguese” addresses by doing it this way. So no need to have concerns for latency etc, they would exist (if the provider allows) on your local provider’s network.

Captura de ecrã 2022-09-08, às 10.08.34

hello @weynandkuijpers and @teisie, Unfortunately, ExtraIP only work for NL.

I actually spoke to them and they told me it is possible. Website is probably not updated yet

Did you already tested this? I saw this company several months ago, but i didn’t know if it would work and how to set it up. So I didn’t continue with this.

No not yet, I’m not sure if the free test ip’s work for testing since you don’t have acces to ports.

I actually got good news! I contacted them and they said it is all possible the only thing we should keep in mind that not all routers are the same. He advised a microtek router.

Let’s all make a video and then find out per router what’s the way and make whole list with all the routers. I think there many people with Fritzboxes and also TP-Link.

How in are you on networking? @liqearce

I’m now in business for a /22 block 2048 IPv4’s

Im not good at all in networking, have no idea how public ip adress work… So i could not go make a video…

I Think this is definitely worth exploring and could rapidly help expand the grids true networking capacity.

I think one thing that should be clarified is that even having a single gateway node in your farm can provide significant movement in the goal of advancing the overall project, I feel like the planetary network is truly where alot of the value in the project lies.

Looking past your nodes ability to deploy VMs, its truly doing amazing things just to exist networking wise.

• every node is automatically configured into a wiregaurd vpn network

• every node is automatically a member of one giant mesh network wholly supported by unassociated ISPs in every corner of the world.

With that being said when your node becomes a gateway its role in that network changes, because with the addition of the gateway address it is able to be added to the the peer list within yggdrasil,

The peer list is where every node sends their outgoing connection requests to establish the encrypted ipv6 tunnels that make up the ygg transport layer(possibly wrong term?), threefold operates within a sub network of ygg because our peer list is made of all internal nodes with additional configuration.

To paint a familiar picture, consider a non gateway your home router, its able to send and receive on the larger network but generally speaking devices behind it cant be reach by incoming unsolicited connections. Once your node has a public gateway address it gains the ability to for additional ygg clients to be able to connect to it as their entry point into the network. to truly understand the potential here you have to look beyond typical internet networking mindsets because its not doing the networking anymore.

Say There is another node here in my city or someone just using the planetary client, my node will benefit them as is because they can use it in the peer list and have a 5 gigabit gateway to the ygg network, possibly within the local isp network, on pure fiber.

the way ygg works is when you connect your node to the network, it establishes tunnels to multiple peers and dynamically configures routes between nodes based on the spanning tree. and because there is single controlling standard in place and the IP belongs to the device not the network, this all able to be done with no user input. Think of it as the power grid, your company often doesnt handle making the power, they just handle the delivery, this technology combined with zos in wide spread use could theoretically allow for every device in the world to have a publicly available IP address through use of planetary clients and your 3 node gateways would be the data uplinks carrying that traffic across the yggdrasil network. i mean not be cliche, but imagine a world where you could dynamically add someone to your local network, from across the world, by typing a single IP into an allow list, and they would have that access regardless of what internet connection they are on, with the same ip address, only having to press one button and it was over a network that could dynamically route traffic over nearly every available home internet connection with widespread use of the planetary client and 3node hosting.

2 Likes

This is why bare metal and ultimately public ip addresses are so important to the threefold structure and why it differs from the providers that can be hosted on centralized VPS, many of those projects use tech similar to planetary, the problem is that the only way a node can truly have access to configure its own network entirely autonomously without outside interference is for it to have direct control of the network adapter which is important for a few reasons, a 3node is capable of receiving outside traffic not from its network and forwarding it on to a destination not within its network, dynamically through these encrypted ipv6 tunnels. the tunnels ports are generated randomly, thus for forwarding, you need truly wide open address. free from NAT or possibly hypervisor networking interference.

in models running within hardware controlled by outside actors there is no guarantee that they wont block a connection and significantly impact a connections stability.

so by adding 1 Gateway node to you farm, your truly adding the opportunity for your node to become part of what could ultimately become the way the every user facing device in the world communicates free from outside control of isp who would never be able to see a single byte of actual data that is transiting a fully encrypted network making the isp the utility they providers they should be and removing their control over how and what you communicate while giving you access to an entire worlds worth of computational power on demand.

remember were decentralizing the internet, not necessarily just trying to beat aws here.

2 Likes

Reading your last three messages makes me sad…in realizing how little I know.

1 Like

@checkkill With that you belong at the majority.