Tfcmd struggles

From within a micro-VM initiated via the TFT dashboard, I installed the tfcmd and related go binaries. After a TFT login, I attempted to deploy a second micro-VM (from within the first micro-VM) using tfcmd. This is what I tried (along with the errors):

root@vmezvvf:~# ./tfcmd deploy vm --name w4c_hello --ssh ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub --cpu 1 --ipv4
1:12AM INF starting peer session=tf-1893 twin=13232
1:13AM INF deploying network
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 544.902026ms ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 901.843476ms ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 933.504918ms ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 957.015172ms ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 1.672360364s ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 3.043568075s ecIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"
1:13AM ERR failure: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go struct field PublicIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64, command: farms, duration: 8.53213076s erIP.publicIps.farm_id of type uint64"

Am I using the command line tool correctly?

Hi @tftcharlesmurphy! Welcome to the ThreeFold Community! Thank you for sharing your issue on our forum. I’ve looked into similar past issues to guide you further but couldn’t find one in specific to your context. To ensure you receive the best guidance, I have tagged @scott & @Mik who may provide valuable insights.

Hi Charles! I am sure we can get this to work.

Did you follow the steps in the docs? https://manual.grid.tf/documentation/developers/tfcmd/tfcmd.html

1. tfcmd login should be done first to set your mnemonic and the network
  2. Did you create an SSH key pair on the VM?

The problem seems to be arising while searching for a node with a public IPv4 address available. I suspect you could resolve this by specifying the farm or node id to deploy to.

There are a limited number of farms with known working public IPv4 addresses, and some farms have them misconfigured. The farms I’d recommend are FreeFarm, GreenEdge (multiple farms), and GoldAndGreen.

That said, it seems there might be something we can fix here. Which version of tfcmd are you using?

2 Likes