Let's share our farming setup

IMG_20220214_160225 IMG_20220225_082252

First of all, I wanted to thank this amazing team and community for this project. It makes a lot of sense and I’m more than glad to help it grow by doing my part.

Complete noob in this area, but decided to give it a try, and here is my setup:

• Lenovo M900 tiny
  • i7-6700 4 cores 8 threads
  • G.Skill Ripjaws Series 64GB SO-DIMM DDR4
  • 256 GB SSD NVME
  • 2 TB Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD

Up and running, it was a lot of fun to set it up and learn along the way.
Planning on doing a small PC build and most probably converting it to a node too.

Since I’m here, I would like to ask something. If, after the initial set up, I decide to upgrade my DIY node (new SSD or - not in this case - upgrade the RAM) do I have to do something, or does the grid automatically recognizes the upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Keep up with the amazing job!

3 Likes

The grid does automatically recognize updates, however, since you have no spare drive slots this would mean you would be replacing one. If you accidentally replace the cache disk you will get a new node ID. .

2 Likes

And is there a way of knowing which one is being used as cache disk? Thanks!

If you booted with more than one disk initially the only sure fire way is to boot the node with a live linux USB and see what disk has files on it.

Could you share how you installed the SSD’s on the R720 and what you did about RAID?

With pleasure.

Check this out:

I did a DIY guide. It’s with a R620 but it’s really the same process with R720.

Also, I only use the PCIe slots for the SSD. I don’t use the front disks. So no RAID.

3 Likes

Dell R710 - old and tricky but it was worth the trip…

2x 12Core (24 Threads)
192GB DDR3 ECC RAM
2x 2TB NVME SSD via PCIe slots (RAID controller extracted, onboard SATA did also NOT work!)

boots via BIOS
boots via USB stick
network only works with option iSCSI boot (and then manuall Boot medium selection)

DIY new and shiny up and running in 5 minutes after assembly

AMD Epyc 7551 32 core / 64 threads
512 GB DDR4 RAM
2x4TB SSD

1 Like

I thought the R710’s had a LGA 1366 socket that only supported CPU’s up to 6 core?

Also, that Epyc build is epic.

1 Like

sorry of course it is 2x6 cores (24 Threads)

IMG_20220306_171843 (2)

There’s a few more in the living room too. These loud HP’s hide in the back room.

8 Likes

Looks ganster! USed to have similar setups back in the day with old Silicon Graphics hardware etc. Wife did not like that at all :laughing:!

2 Likes

Wife asked me what it cost yesterday. Luckily I had been keeping alka-seltzers in my pocket for this occasion and promptly put several in my mouth and pretended to fall to the ground.

7 Likes

Some comments:

• it’s all used gear, so you definitely didn’t pay premium/list price
  • very short ROI
  • future token value + staking
  • free heating in winter :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Yes, I went heavy on point 2.

1 Like

dell

Dell Precision T5810
Intel Xeon E5-2698 V3 (16 Cores / 32 Threads)
256GB SK Hynix DDR4 ECC RAM
4TB Crucial MX500 SSD

3 Likes

Is there a “Jealous” button? All I see is a “Like” button.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Hey Rad,

How did you get the G7 to work? I myself have a HP proliant 360, but Zero-OS does not recognise the SSD.

Grtz, Wesley

Hi,
I have SSD connected with P410i array on raid 0. With V2 I had no problems. On V3 it was ok for 2-3 weeks. After my node was disconnected showing SSD not detected. Bios, Linux everything was ok with disks. I tried to format, clean and nothing. I started V2 again no problems. I install additional PCI sata extension card. SSD detected, V3 working fine. So this is something with controller P410i. I ordered new one. I should have it this week so I will test. I just not understand why it was working fine on V3 for few weeks…Some people have issues with RAID controllers, you can try to set it in HBA mode. It may help.

BR
Radek

Hey Nelson,

may I ask you how much Threats/RAM/Storage you provide on that site? And…how much internet connection bandwith ist needed/available therefore?

Thanks!

btw: thank you very much for the video tutorials on running zos on DELL and HP servers. Saved us a lot of time since we have both in use. Great job!

Hey guys,

we are about to build up a more or less serios farm including up to 10 nodes which will provide round about 350 Threats / 2800GB RAM and a total of approx. 45TB SSD-Storage to the Threefold grid.

I’d like to know if you would suggest a 1Gbit internet connection suffient for this setup. Especially in regard to Kristofs post concerning farming improvements. I’d like to avoid issues discribed in scenario 2 and 3 (see: Suggested farming reward improvements).

otherwise asked: what are the minimum requirements on internet connection bandwith suggested for a farm of that size. Any coments/suggestions are higly appreciated.

Thanks!