[GEP] The Networking Farming Initiative [Closed]

[GEP] Network Farming Classifications

The Problem: The current Threefold grid is unable to demonstrate the true functionality of the Planetary Network due to a lack of Gateways nodes to truly establish the p2p mesh network. This further prevents a truly decentralized network from functioning without a centralized location providing the entry point to the network.

The Cause: There is a lack of documentation, structure, and reward for providing the resources necessary for the grid to establish the P2P network and it function as intended

The Proposed Solution

Threefold Network Farming

“network” farming will differ from the traditional farming structure as it focuses on a different goal and different sides of the project, the traditional 3 nodes farming places emphasis on the hardware that is available within your farm for deployment of vms and provisioning of compute power, where as network farming will be focused on the network that your nodes provide access to.

The Purpose/use case-

A network farm will provide the services that can be equated to your local ISPs core network in the sense that these farms will be responsible for providing the gateway through which local planetary clients will connect to the planetary network. This will provide significant improvements to the function of nodes that are accessed over planetary as well as the overall strength of the planetary network.

Resultant benefits-

• The network farming initiative will provide the resources to allow the threefold network to be demonstrated in its true functionality in a functional way while ensuring that farmers truly receive the rewards that they deserve for the service they are providing both to the grids compute power and overall network strength.
  • A fully functional planetary network will create an environment that will allow development of the network in a decentralized way, currently developing tools that utilize the planetary network would likely result in inconsistent results and poor performance in areas without a local gateway.
  • The network farming initiative provides the opportunity for established network providers to integrate their services to the grid and offer them in a decentralized way to the entire world.

Plan Summary:

The Network farming initiative establishes a classification and reward structure that ensures network providers will receive predictable and consistent rewards for adding capacity to the threefold grids networking capability. Long term, the plan intends to establish a gateway node structure that allows the threefold grid to access and utilize local I.S.P networks in the establishment of an over arching peer to peer network through use of the threefold planetary client that provides every device an IPV6 address based on a cryptographic key pair that belongs to the device and not the network, These Gateways nodes will be utilized in creating Planetary Network access points that will provided the gateway through which other planetary clients and 3nodes without public addresses in their local area will connect to the Threefold grid. These nodes will also users to expose their workload to the outside world on the traditional ipv4/ipv6 network allowing end users to access their workload without using anything beyond their regular computer.

Decentralized Data Center Classifications:

Threefold Relay Station- Threefold relay stations will provide the services equitable to the switch your isp connects your neighborhood to and will handle routing of 3 nodes without public addresses located locally to the relay stations, Preferably nodes within the local isp’s in house structure maximizing link speed and minimizing ping between devices.

Specifications- 1 gigabit symmetrical link, 1 Gateway node, 5 public Ip addresses

Location- can be hosted at home or in a rented space DC

Threefold Advanced Relay Stations- Threefold relay stations will provide the services equitable to the switch your isp connects your neighborhood to and will handle routing of 3nodes without public addresses located locally to the relay stations, Preferably nodes within the local isp’s in house structure maximizing link speed and minimizing ping between devices.
-edited text- typo
Specifications- 2.5 gigabit symmetrical link, 2 Gateway nodes, 5 public Ip addresses
-edited text-

Threefold Network Station- Threefold Network Stations will primarily handle the routing between relay stations and Home hubs or threefold data centers. Think of this as the switch your isp connects all the neighborhoods to. Preferably there will be a network station within each local isps structure for the relay nodes to peer to.

Specifications- 5 Gigabit link, 5 gateway nodes, 64 public Ip addresses, 2 isp uplinks

Threefold Home Hub- Threefold Home Hubs will serve the same role as a Threefold Data Center, in handling the part of the network that equates to your isp’s core network while allowing farmers to take advantage of situations where resources that aren’t typically available on residential connections, are available in their area

Specifications- 10 Gigabit link, 2 isp uplinks utilizing separate ISP networks, 128 public addresses, 16 gateway nodes with minimum specs of 32 cru/256 mru/3.2 tb sru

Location- Must be in a location that the farmer has primary control of.

Threefold Data Centers- this may take some imagination, Threefold data centers will make up the core network of the planetary network and likely are years from existence, these are businesses that have chosen to use their DC to provide services over the threefold grid. This classification will allow an established dc to migrate their services onto the threefold grid and receive appropriate rewards for doing so.

Specifications- ? gigabits of total uplink, ? of isp connections, 512 addresses, 128 gateway nodes.

Location- Must be in a location that the farmer has primary control of.

I recognize that in our current environment some of this may seen unnecessary or unrealistic, I have designed this proposal to scale with the network as it grow, thus the classifications that are far out of reach, unrealistic under the status quo. For ease of understanding I will try to explain my overall thought process on how this would structure the planetary network.

This model represents what the DEFAULT routes would look like assuming that everything is up and functional. A very important piece of this puzzle is that planetary is able to dynamically route traffic. So in the model above say the A relay goes down. The 3node peer list would include all of the relay stations in the area (to many arrows to draw that) , thus the entire network would still be accessible over the 2 regular Relays and the 3node would continue to be reachable to every planetary device, over the planetary network regardless of the loss of its default gateway.

Where the Network Farming initiative will really shine is when you add in the presence of a wireless connection. I think all of us can speak to often being able to see our neighbors wifi, now add into the diagram that the 3nodes are located locally to each other and are party to a local wireless mesh network that exposes each nodes planetary interface only to the overall wireless network. This would allow a 3 node that loses its actual ISP connection to then peer across the wireless network, reach the next closest 3node with a active connection and again remain reachable over planetary despite the loss of its physical default gateway. At this point of development, anyone with a device running planetary network could connect to one of these wireless networks and be billed in tft to receive internet access temporarily through a local 3 node while not gaining access to the 3nodes private network, with proper implementation

Peering Strategy

3nodes peer list 10 relays, and 2 homehub/dcs

Relays peer list includes all homehubs/dcs

Homehubs and DCs all peer to eachother.

You will notice I have not addressed how each classification would be rewarded or specifics on setups. Because I have a conflict of interest in this discussion I will only be contributing those parts of the discussion that do not involve how the network farmers would be rewarded and what equipment specifications would be required.

9 Likes

This peering strategy would require regional peer configurations, and a peer configuration for dc, home, hub, Arelay, relay, also regionally,

I think the best way to achieve this would be to further utilize dns records and have a primary dns server that redirects to the gateway nodes domain based on geo location.

For instance for a German client they could be redirected to a config file for planetary, to a gateway on tfcloud.de that hosts those file based on dns subnets, the usual problem of it redirecting to the clients dns server actually becomes beneficial as it will aggregate clients connected to the same isp dns servers, thus networks, allowing the received peer list to likely exsist locally, and within their isps networks

3 Likes

This is a strong proposition.

It looks beneficial to the TF Grid and its users, it can be done in steps, and it leads to a Grand Vision for Threefold.

I say: Let’s do it!

Network Farming sounds cool too. Bonus point.

I feel like all this crazy good stuff is getting dumped on here without proper appreciation.

2 Likes

My four day weekend starts tomorrow :wink:

2 Likes