GEP Gold Certified Farming Specs (CLOSED)

Done and done. Both points integrated in the summary (added in italic, please check).

1 Like

Good point(s). The dual router / switch requirement is redundant to a degree with the 99.8% uptime requirement. The what is clear: 99.8% uptime achieved, should we specify the “how”? I think you might have a point - it’s more a “best practise” statement then anything else. Let me sit on this for a little.

2 Likes

@weynandkuijpers is there already a GEP to approve specs?

I have 2 location’s(DC’s) to aprove.

I have both same specs in both locations, only in one i’m using bit more enterprise ssd.

Actually i also saw this post about 100% renewable energy, this is 1 DC for sure the case the other one i have to check. Both have certification for that.

Actually just checked: there both 100% renewable energy.

100% renewable energy on a physical level, or just on a guarantee of origin level? Cause the later does not really contribute anything of value to our sweet and beautfiful planet (greenwashing). I’d rather see ThreeFold go down the route of actually making a difference in this regard (I proposed the GEP). But in the end the community will have to decide how they would like this to play out.

1 Like

It says 100% green energy, so I suppose it’s from windmill’s and sun etc. I can ofcourse ask, but this Extra rewards is there already a GEP to certified it?

You came with DOA proposal right? Since most people agreed (71%), what’s the next step

1 Like

That’s what almost everybody assumes when it says 100% green energy. Greenwashing is there for a reason and it serves it’s intended purpose in many cases. I doubt that their energy is completely green on a physical level (unless they are by any chance powered by hydro e.g. in northern Europe or similar). Anyway you should definitely ask them!

@weynandkuijpers has told me he will rewrite the detailed rules (I assume similar to his post in this thread) and create a feature request. From there the process goes it’s natural way (I assume).

1 Like

@weynandkuijpers any update on the qualifying process for Gold Certified farming?

I think we can do it the same as the validators right like this?

The DC is offcourse not free and aquires with all the requirements some commitment from farmer side.

Who can i contact to maybe speed this up a little?

If i don’t see it wrong it just a matter of opening a vote right?

My units are already certfied makes it maybe bit easier.

After receiving rewards for last month I checked the uptime of our nodes and had to realize that there is some variation in uptime that I can’t explain/understand. The variations are very tiny… but would become dramaticly relevant when it comes to gold certified farming and the requirement of 99.8% uptime.

Within last month I was playing aroung with 2 (out 38) nodes for public IP configuration and had to reboot those nodes a couple of time. I wanted to check how reboots have impact on uptime and had to find out that those nodes had an uptime of 99.98% but others that were not even touched in any way have lower uptimes (!!). Some of them are below 99.8% although I can guarantee that they were up and running the whole time without any interruption. I mean all nodes share the same rack… same internet connection…same power source. I checked log files on those servers (although I’m monitoring them all the time anyway) and I can 100% assure that there has not been a second of downtime.

As I said… the variations are very tiny… and take place in the first and second digit behind the 99%. But on a couple of nodes the uptime is below of the mentioned requirement (lowest is 99.5%). I have no explanation and I’m a bit worried in regard to the gold certified farming.

Are there other farmers who experience this kind of variation in uptime without any reasonable cause?

Hé Dany, are you using a uptime monitor?

I almost positive the uptime reporting has an issue. Reports low.

Your units are already certified? Those wouldn’t be eligible for gold certified since those would be titans.

1 Like

…or they would be Pekings! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean by “uptime” monitor. First of all we use Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise since we have multiple DELL servers in our farm. This is very powerful and great for collecting extensive parameters/status information. In addition I’m using various monitoring tools, but nothing special … just common networking and sysadmin tools.

There not titans, they were in one of TF DC’s. Although later it only costed me more so no need to be jalous.

How does it come that we don’t get any reaction on this within 3 days??? Sad…

Hehe, just like that :laughing:

dear friends, may I suggest we close this GEP, because it’s becoming one long thread of brainstorming & discussions, suggest to bring discussions to farming forum part or the RFC if its a suggested change.

The code for registering farms in TFChain (our blockchain) and getting vote on such a farm certification level and register the right reward is part of 3.6 which has been released some weeks ago on testnet.

Based on early understanding of gold farming we can execute the process to certify the first farms.
I am sure that as we go the specs of gold farming will change and DAO will have to approve.

There are for sure open topics e.g.

• 1 rack per region or datacenter seems to be maybe not ok or at least not complete
  • how do we define a server is good enough or not (there us huge difference in CPU capabilities)

I suggest to close this GEP and move into implementation for first farms once 3.6 is on mainnet.

hope this helps

Kristof

3 Likes

hi, all has been prepared to register farms for gold certification
please reach out to TF team .

see the preparation on

it will happen in 2 steps

• step 1 = create policy for gold farming, get enough of us to vote
  • step 2 = create vote proposal for each certified farms

scripts required to execute this are all in this repository

3 Likes

What is the outcome of Step 1?
If I understand correctly, majority has to certify equipment is right to be called “gold certified”?