Farming FAQ (and some answers) [OUTDATED]

Hi all,

After hearing about ThreeFold a little over a week ago, I’ve gotten really excited about the project in general and the opportunity to participate as a farmer. I took the plunge and ordered some hardware to set up my first node, which I’ll post more about as the pieces come together.

In the meantime, I am making this post to share some of what I’ve learned through reading pretty much all of the information I could find on farming. I am calling this a “FAQ” because I’ve seen some of these questions asked by others and imagine there are more potential farmers wondering the same things. Most of these answers are incomplete, and I’d love input from those around here who know more than me so I can update the answers accordingly.

1. What do I need to become a ThreeFold Farmer?

Any computer with an Intel or AMD processor and network connectivity can be used for farming. If you are shopping for hardware, new or used machines no older than four years are recommended. Certain hardware is eligible to be certified and certification provides benefits like additional farming rewards.

2. How much will I earn as a farmer?

Farming rewards are calculated based on the amount of compute and storage capacity that a farm’s nodes make available to the Threefold Grid. When that capacity is rented, farmers also receive cultivation income.

Currently, the full details of farming reward calculations are not easy to find. It is possible to check the rewards paid to existing farmers in past months as a point of reference, using the ThreeFold Grid Explorer and a tool to inspect the Stellar ledger, but this method is fairly involved. The ThreeFold Foundation has announced that they will release minting reports on previously farmed tokens at some point.

For the best information on potential return on investment, see the simulator scenarios provided in the wiki. Another point of reference is available from the Mazraa ThreeFold farming cooperative, who are advertising at least 100 TFTs per month farming income for their LightNode.

3. What kind of return on investment can I expect when purchasing farming hardware?

This depends on a number of factors, including the hardware specs, purchase price, electricity and internet costs, the value of earned TFTs when they are sold or spent, and changes in farming and cultivation rewards due to grid growth and utilization level. Simulations based on potential growth and valuation of the grid and price of the token can provide estimates for various conditions over a five year investment period. More details on the simulations used to generate ROI estimations can be found here.

4. How much bandwidth and data capacity do I need?

Basic node configurations should run well on a standard 25 Mb/s home or office connection. A direct fiber connection is recommended for any farm hosting 30TB of storage or more. Of course, this depends on the needs of other devices sharing the network and the actual utilization of any customers renting space on your nodes.

5. What if my node goes offline due to a hardware failure or a network outage?

Farmers only receive TFT for farming if they maintain 99% uptime per month, which corresponds to no more than 7.2 hours of downtime in a given month.

6. What is the optimal configuration for a ThreeFold node?

At least one solid state disk is recommended per node, and adequate RAM is needed to fully utilize available CPU cores. Per the compute unit calculations shown here, an 8:1 ratio of RAM to logical CPU cores nearly maximizes compute units for a given CPU. For example, a computer with 4 physical hyperthreaded cores has 8 logical cores, which means the maximum compute units for that CPU is 16 (cru * 2). With 64 gigabytes of RAM the expression (mru - 1) / 4 equals 15.75. Since compute units are the minimum of these two values, it is 15.75 in this case. If only 32 gigabytes of RAM are installed, (mru - 1) / 4 = 7.75 and CU also equals 7.75.

Elsewhere, we see examples where two logical cores and four gigabytes of RAM are rented as a standard unit, and also statements that four gigabytes of RAM for each logical CPU core is optimum. This discrepancy may be explained by the fact that Zero OS occupies some RAM and memory upgrades typically happen in powers of two. That is, an ideal amount of RAM for 8 logical cores may be 33 or 34 gigabytes, but available configurations are 32 or 64 gigabytes.

7. How soon can I start selling the tokens I’ve earned?

Currently, all farming rewards are paid in TFTA tokens. These are the original ThreeFold tokens, which will be converted to the new TFT token at the end of 2020. Certified farmers will begin earning TFT once they are certified. TFT tokens can be sold on the BTC-Alpha and Liquid exchanges, as well as the Stellar Decentralized Exchange. TFTA can also be sold on Stellar DEX, though the trading price is currently below the market rate for TFT. Farmers should consider planning to hold all TFTA earned until it becomes TFT.

8. How are jobs assigned to nodes? What if nobody ever rents capacity on my node? Can I deploy workloads to my own node?

5 Likes

Hi Scott,
Great summary from your side. Really love the work you did.
Here are some remarks:

Ad 2 & 3: The estimator link is outdated as it is based on our v1 tokenomics. Please use for now this simulation overview: https://wiki.threefold.io/#/simulator_configure
We are working in a simple simulator which we will publish during the summertime.
As the amount of TFT farmed is dependent on the periods TFT price and the amount of TFT already minted you can only simulate various scenarios. If you play with our simulator you will see that even in the worst case the ROI over 5 years is quite nice.
Mazraa will be offering similar smaller nodes then Bettertoken: https://www.farmer.threefold.io/small-threefold-nodes.html. The link to the certified farming configs in 3. points to the right configs, but the mentioned ROI numbers are all based on v1 tokenomics. The configs are still valid though. Will update the doc/erase ROI numbers over the weekend.

Ad 5: Uptime in form of an SLA (service level agreement) is measured monthly. That means with 99% uptime requirement your node can be down up to 7.2h per month and you will still earn your TFT. Will publish more details on the required uptimes per farmer type - DIY, Managed and Certified - beginning of August.

Hope that helps.
If you don’t mind we will use some of your work in our wikis moving forward.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. I’ll update my original post to reflect your input. Please do feel free to use any part of this in the wiki—I’d be honored, in fact :grinning: On that note, I have some other ideas for wiki contributions (fixing typos and outdated information, to start) and see it’s all hosted over on Github. Is there any other process to get involved besides just making a pull request?

I have read what I can find on the new tokenomics and minting process, as well as playing with the provided simulator scenarios a bit (I’ve tried running the simulator on my own machine without success). The ROIs do indeed look nice, and I think the case for farming is well made. That said, I think most potential farmers will want to know how many TFTs they can expect a given configuration to mint per month, given the current size and growth rate of the network. I see that there is more information on minting provided to farmers via email; perhaps publishing some part of that would be possible?

Regarding configurations, I am still curious about the best RAM/CPU ratio. For example, the “Home Kit” microserver is shown with only 16 of the possible 32 gigs of memory installed, but as far as I can see adding the extra RAM would actually be a great investment for maximizing the compute units (and income generated) for the box.

Scott we are overhauling our wiki’s in the coming weeks. Creating pull requests for now would be the way to go, but I would say to sit tight for the overhaul to be completed. Very cool to see someone diving this deep! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

@Roel can we make sure to put these questions into this forum, maybe as separate question.
See with Max he is also working on it.
@maximilianrang see this post

1 Like

TFT coin has recently been listed on Coinbase.

1 Like

Just to be clear, that’s listed in the sense that they show pricing info, not in the sense that it’s available for trading.

2 Likes

Yes, Indeed, its read-only, does not allow trading yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys,
Two questions:

1. Any updates about the certification process of the nodes?
  2. Where can I find the current value of mining difficulty? I checked capacity explorer and did not find any. Maybe I was looking at the wrong place?

Hi Andrey, Thank you for your good questions!

The certification program is in the works and will be communicated as soon as it is finished.
The difficulty for farming I will get back to you asap, and will also look into a way to how we can make this more transparent for everybody to check.

IMHO Would be good to have an online calculator on capacity explorer, which can be used to insert parameters that you expect and see result alongside intermediate calculation. IMHO would be quite a user friendly.

1 Like

We would are working on a simulator that will help you simulate possible outcomes. We will publish this on our wiki as soon as it’s finished.

@Roel that is interesting, but would be really cool to see also a graph of farming difficulty to make decisions.

Another question of if you do not mind guys. Am I correct that the TF foundation will take 10% of the payments from the cultivation? But how tasks will be arranged between farms and nodes? I did not find an explanation for that. One more question. Are there plans to create a “cultivation explorer” in the manner of the capacity explorer?

Hi Andrey,

• indeed part of the cultivation amount goes to the TFF as a way to support the expansion of the Threefold Grid and be able to develop and support projects that are in line with the values. But even then, the price for a farmer is very competitive to the market, see https://wiki.threefold.io/#/cloud_pricing.
  • Nodes are part of a farm, both concepts help farmers to manage their capacity at the right level.
  • there is already some figures on cultivation, indicating the number of deployed networks, containers, Kubernetes clusters etc. The figures are currently higher on the testnet explorer, this is logic given the release 2.5 that prepares all for usage is still on testnet for the moment. Be also aware that release 3.0 will contain a contain review on how farms and nodes, as well as the way that data are stored behind the explorer, way more decentralized. With that release, also more features will become available to allow for an easier management of farms, nodes and workloads.
1 Like