Farmerbot: Basic Guide for All Networks [OUTDATED]

You can check the error log: https://www2.manual.grid.tf/farmerbot/farmerbot.html#is-there-a-way-to-access-more-error-checking

Also I think one of the 3nodes must stay awake. If you have your farmerbot running on a different 3node, it might explain why 2 of the 4 nodes stay awake.

Concerning my last reply, this should help you. See the second QnA:

How can I update the Farmerbot with the new release?

Please follow these steps to move the existing farmerbot to the new one:

1. Change the current directory to the directory containing the docker-compose file
  2. Remove or change the name of the file docker-compose.yaml
    rm docker-compose.yaml

mv docker-compose.yaml docker-compose.OLDyaml

3. Download the new docker-compose file: wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/threefoldtech/farmerbot/development/docker-compose.yaml
  4. Modify the .env file: rename MNEMONIC to SECRET
  5. Stop the existing farmerbot: docker compose rm -f -s -v
  6. Run the new farmerbot: docker compose up -d

This last command can take some time as it is downloading new docker images. Let the farmerbot run for some time. If you think something is wrong or if you want to check if there is something wrong you should look into the config/farmerbot.log file. If you see some errors please share that file with us.

What are the changes brought in with the new Farmerbot release?

Among new changes, we adjusted the periodic_wakeup_limit which allows you to specify how much sleeping nodes you want to wake up at the same time during a periodic wakeup.

Also, we got rid of the requirement to have at least one node up that is unused. So if you have two nodes and one of them is running the farmerbot the other one will be able to shutdown (it wouldn’t shut down before).

1 Like

Before 2. There should be a
rm docker-compose.yaml
or
mv docker-compose.yaml docker-compose.OLDyaml

Wget doesn’t overwrite but creates a new filename.

2 Likes

Thanks Randy.

The reply is updated, as well as the pull request file for the manual update.

Strange thing is that the farmerbot will not run if I do a docker compose up -d (it will give an error on the gridtf container saying ii is unhealthy), but the bot will run if I omit the -d flag
Bizarre, no?

I am not sure but try this line then restart

docker compose down -v

The -d option is just to have Docker running as a deamon in the background:

Hey guys,

Here’s a script to build the .env and nodes.md files: https://github.com/Mik-TF/farmerbot-script

I would prefer people to fully stop the farmerbot before starting it again:

docker compose rm -f -s -v

And then start it again by doing:

docker compose up -d

Because the docker compose down command doesn’t remove the containers. It might also be good to check if there are any containers still left from previous runs:

docker container ls --all

I would suggest removing those containers first:

docker container rm -f -v NAME_OF_CONTAINER

Thanks for the information. Here’s a QnA out of this. It could be added on the Farmerbot FAQ for future uses by farmers.

How can I properly stop the Farmerbot and start it again?

Here are the steps to properly stop the Farmerbot and start it again.

• Make sure to fully stop the Farmerbot before starting it again:

• docker compose rm -f -s -v

• You should also make sure that there are no containers left from the previous runs. First, list all containers:

• docker container ls --all

• Then delete the remaining containers:

• docker container rm -f -v NAME_OF_CONTAINER

• To start again the Farmerbot, write the following:

• docker compose up -d

Are there any video directions for installing Farmbot for us less tech-savvy?

1 Like

Maybe I’ll record it when I do it next week ish.

2 Likes

This video might help. But it’s not “new/updated”: https://www.manual.grid.tf/farmers/farmerbot/farmerbot.html#farmerbot-video-guide

Of course if @FLnelson wants to make a video, that would be amazing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link.
Yes in deed it would be amazing. He did a great job in his previous videos. He is a valuable member of the team.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Looking forward to it.

Hi,
Did you by any chance record that video about farmbot installation?
Thanks,

I don’t. And I don’t recommend you install it until the new version soon. When that new version comes out I will finally run it and I will record me figuring it out.

3 Likes

@stanikzai @FLnelson
The Farmerbot in Go is basically ready to be tested, and I wrote a guide on how to deploy it easily on the TFGrid. Posts on this should be shared very soon.

1 Like

Are there big changes in sense of how to deploy it? Is it a whole new procedere? What does farmerbot in Go mean?

Go means that the bot is written in go, instead of vlang (the previous bot).

You can try it by following the instructions here: https://github.com/threefoldtech/tfgrid-sdk-go/tree/development/farmerbot

It’s all open-source on ThreeFoldTech GH repo.

Now you can deploy it in binaries, or with docker. It’s quick to deploy.
The process is similar but different than the last farmerbot. The docs cover it all (link above).

Thanks for clarification. From which time on is it neccesary to update to this version?
Can you tell us what the new Features of this version are and what’s the difference to the actual version.