ThreeFold November 3 Grid Utilization Community Call: Recording

ThreeFold November 3 Grid Utilization Community Call: Recording + Recap

Below please find the recording of last week’s community call focusing on Grid Utilization! Thanks to @weynandkuijpers, @scott, and Theo (anybody know his forum handle?) for taking us through some super exciting topics including dedicated nodes, full virtual machines, solution provider / sales channel fee, and Zonaris (the decentralized Node as a Service platform being built on top of ThreeFold).

Please note the content of this call is for information purposes only and is subject to change as the project evolves.

Summary of the Call

• Click here to see the Grid Utilization Presentation on the call (View Only)

• To start with, our member / moderator Scott Yaeger posts Weekly Grid Stats - New Nodes and Grid Utilization Overview on ThreeFold forum, so make sure to check it out to get a bigger picture of how ThreeFold Grid is growing and being used. The weekly stats include the numbers of new active nodes, as well as both mainnet and testnet utilizations.

• Dedicated Nodes are nodes that a user can reserve entirely, to then be used exclusively to deploy solutions. At the comment, there are ‘Reserved Discounts’ for renting a node on ThreeFold Grid internet capacity:

• 70% for dedicated node (TF Pricing policies)
    • a second level discount up to 60% for balance level see Discount Levels
    • Read more about how to reserve and use Dedicated Nodes on TFGrid Portal on ThreeFold Wiki here)
  • Full VMs (full virtual machines) are operating system images with its own kernels that could run workloads on either local or cloud environments. Full VMs are now deployable on TFPlayground (testnet/mainnet). Click here to read a tutorial on how to deploy a full VM on TF Playground

• Zonaris is an example of a decentralised NaaS (Node as a Service) platform built successfully on top of ThreeFold Grid. Node as a Service (NaaS) is a service that provides access and maintenance to shared and dedicated nodes for multiple blockchains and networks.

• QA Sessions

• QA: Are you rewarded for being a service provider / selling your capacity to others?
    We don’t yet have a formally established process for onboarding solution providers who can profit from the sales channel fee on the grid. Anyone interested in doing so should create a post on the forum for community discussion and implementation by the team if there is support.

• QA: How can farmers really be incentivized to promote the utilization on their own nodes, since the electricity usage would rise?
    There are options on the table for creating the right incentive for farmers who sell their own capacity, such as directing part of the sales channel revenue to them or implementing a booster. If you can contribute any proposals around what this should look like or figures regarding your specific situation as a farmer, please do so!

• QA: Are VMs deployed on the TFGrid scalable?
    Individual VMs are not currently scalable on the Grid. Scalability can be achieved by deploying a new, larger VM or distributing workloads over multiple VMs. Since the call, I’ve opened an issue about this, so we can discuss feasibility with the dev team.

• Please go here to read a complete list of ThreeFold Wiki FAQ

• You can find tutorials on how to deploy weblets like Virtual Machines, Kubernetes, etc here on ThreeFold Grid Manual

As always, many thanks to those who joined live and watch the recording. Let’s continue to test, improve, build, and spread the good word!

2 Likes

Just added the summary of the call onto the forum post, for those who would like a quick summary before watching the video. let us know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great summary @gosam.

1 Like

Hello and thank you for demo of the new features of the grid. I would love to see all new updates in this format in the future.

As a result of this video I reserved a VM for myself!
I have some questions and suggestions:

1. After about 8 hours of creating a VM i still don’t get an hourly rate. I suppose this is related with the different pricing policy, but even if this is correct, the VMs “included” in the reserved machine should be tagged as “Included in Reserved node”( as an example). It would be a great so you can track you VMS if you have many.

billing

1. I like the progress on showing clearly the pricing of the Node upon reservation in USD.

2. Unfortunately I could not create a VM with all the resources. I tried to add a disk (please confirm that when you add a disk on the disks tab it will utilize HDD space instead of SSD) but every time i chose a disk of 500GB or even 200GB out of 2TB available, the system wouldn’t let me do it “saying” that the resources were not available.

3. Could you give an example of how much TFT do I need to achieve a discount level of 20%, assuming that I don’t have no TFT in the Twin “wallet” right now, and the hourly rate of my Reserved node is 2TFT.
    I did not fully understand the examples given in the documentation or even if this is possible.

4. Don’t you think it would be great to prepay your reserved machine with different discount levels? this could drive some demand of TFT (to fix price) on one side and also give stability to the renter on the price he will pay for the reserved node for the pre-paid period.

Great work!

@weynandkuijpers @scott or someone else, please see @nooba’s reply! :pray:

nooba, i will track your feedback as github issues so we can track, and see what devs think about your feedback :slight_smile: will post the links here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @nooba. If you deploy a VM (or any other application) on a dedicated server there is no additional charge. I agree with you that having the information that there is no charge because this is on a dedicated machine is a good additional feature.

Feature request here: https://github.com/threefoldtech/test_feedback/issues/322

For future reference: you can always add your remarks, bug and feature request in an issue here: https://github.com/threefoldtech/test_feedback

On this page click “issues” (top left corner):

And then top right corner “New Issue”:

Give it a descriptive title, and a body to what you mean. That’s all!

1 Like

I noticed something similar. The actual method for calculation the discount levels is not right. A lot less token in wallet are needed to achive high discount levels than what is in the desctiption. I created an issue on this here.

It’s being worked on as you can see. Please stay tuned!

we had a pre-pay model a while ago. This did not sit with many people as the while industry is used to a “pay-as-you-go” model. So I thikn we shold be good with a post pay-as-you-go model.

There’s many other things in which token are getting locked, validators and executors. we have not had the time to focus on these and finish the technology for them, however there is a program where you can register for validators