The versatility of Grid 2.8: launch any docker container image in the world on TF Grid

The Docker community has literally millions of container images available that can be deployed on the ThreeFold Grid in 10 simple steps.

Grid 2.8 has a number of different ways to experience it. One of the more versatile ways is to use an online 3bot (or offline, local install) to create IT architectures. I wanted to highlight the fact that you can literally run millions of pre-cooked docker container images by doing a small number of very simple steps.

See here the video and below the ten steps.

The recipe to run any existing docker image in the docker hub.

1. Get yourself a 3bot online here
  2. Once the 3bot is deployed (and funded) create one of more capacity pools to deploy you container images on (see video for what steps are needed here)
  3. Deploy a private network (solutions page)
  4. Login to the threefold hub (http://hub.grid.tf)
  5. Explore and find a docker image to you liking on the docker hub. Please make sure you understand / find out what the container start command is.
  6. The ThreeFold hub has a docker item at the top navigation bar. This will get you to the docker import page. Enter the docker image name in the page and press import. An flist will be created and stored in you private flist store on the threefold hub
  7. In your 3bot, go to the solutions tab and select generic container deployment. The chat flow will ask you some information, including the flist url
  8. When you don’t know the selected container image a good way to explore it on the TF Grid is to use coreX access. This will allow you to have a web interface (private) to the process manager of the container allow you to start a shell and explore. Please see video for more information
  9. When you have explored / figured out how to start the container, you can provide the start command in the coreX shell or use the generic container deployment to not start coreX access but provide the container launch command.
  10. With the container connected to the private overlay network and the Wireguard configuration at you disposal, you can test and try the container functionality in a private and secure environment. Once you are ready to go public, you can use the webgateway in the solutions tab to connect the container to the outside world.

10 simple steps providing you with the power of all images being developed for docker containerization - ready to go on the ThreeFold Grid.

Please see the video for a full comparison and start to finish 10 step process.

9 Likes

This is the closest subject I can find on launching docker containers images on this forum. Seems it might be outdated? 3bot pages? Links to tetsnet that don’t work…is there an updated version of the above?

You can literally just run a full vm on the TF Grid and run dockers.

For example, this user guide shows how to deploy Guacamole with a docker:

So, in short, any type of documentation on dockers, can be applied to the Threefold ecosystem, by simply deploying a full vm and then running dockers.

That being said, one cool thing of the TF Grid, is that you can convert a docker into an FList, and then run FList on the threefold playground or terraform.

Convert Dockers to FLists
https://www2.manual.grid.tf/flist_hub/flist_hub.html?highlight=docker#convert-docker-to-flist

Docker to FList converter:
https://hub.grid.tf/docker-convert

Here’s a video on how to use a docker to launch Wordpress:
https://www2.manual.grid.tf/tf_video_gallery/tf_video_gallery.html?highlight=docker#running-a-wordpress-website-using-threefold-and-docker

1 Like

@RobertL
I take note of this, we need clear documentation explaining dockers and FLists.

@scott I’ll discuss this with you for sure so I tag you here :slight_smile:

Also, to deploy a full vm, check this guide:

https://www2.manual.grid.tf/getstarted/ssh_guide/ssh_guide.html

It covers mac linux windows, ipv4 and planetary network.

For dockers doc:

For docker quick install:

1 Like

It’s true, you can just run Docker in a Grid VM and then follow any instructions made for Docker. You can also convert the Docker image to an flist and run it directly as a micro VM. I covered this in my video on working with micro VM images, though that might be a somewhat heavy introduction compared to an updated version of what you see here.

1 Like

Nicely said. I made a new QnA out of this discussion.

1 Like

Hello Mik, would you mind sharing the link to the new Q&A that you laid out? We’d love to have a look at it.

Enzo
Communications at ROOT

Of course!

It is not yet uploaded in the manual. But here it is:

"

How can I use Docker on the Threefold Grid?

There are many ways to use Docker on the Threefold Grid.

You can simply run Docker in a virtual machine (Full VM and Micro VM) and then follow any instructions made for Docker.

Since the Threefold Hub has a Docker to FList converter, you can also convert the Docker image to an FList and run it directly as a micro VM, as shown in the Threefold Manual. This is covered in this video on working with micro VM images.

For examples on Docker running on Threefold, check this video on deploying Wordpress with Docker or this guide on deploying Apache Guacamole with Docker.

Note that you can also run Docker in Kubernetes.
"

1 Like

Thank you very much! Adding to our list of “important & interesting”

@animalfarm

1 Like