The "Public IP" question

SO! this is extremely interesting. I have been fighting with my network all day with some dhcp issues. and i just realized that its because when i added the public config, zos is creating a virtual interface with that information as a static address, so while i was trying to manually assign the ips at the router the os was actually handling it aswell which created a very interesting dhcp issue since the physical interface was in fact correct but there was a third virtual in the mix.

although this is creating a bit of a cluster with my att modem as long as i can make sure not to manually configure a conflict since these addresses wont be in my table it should be all cherry.

According to subnet rules you should have this:

Network Address Usable Host Range Broadcast Address:
108.242.38.184 108.242.38.185 -108.242.38.190 108.242.38.191

which makes the addresses ending between 185 and 190 (6 addresses) usable.

I see 185 and 186 being machines (right?) so you have 187,188,189 and 190 available. Correct?

wow that was serious math in public on my part on the 5 addresses.

I don’t expose any user machines directly 189 subnet is managed by an ASUS router and supports my users devices plus a helium miner through port forwarding. 185 and 186 are the two nodes that are currently online. 187 is a inbound/outbound yggdrasil node. 190 is my default gateway address so right now 188 is the only open address

85-node1
86-node2
87-yggdrasil node
88-open
89-devices
90-gateway address.

Hello @linkmark, did you do this yourself “one by one”?

isn’t it possible to select a range.

Just asking you because you were talking about the one by one ;p

Hi @teisie

As far as I know you have to add the available public IP’s one by one in the portal, adding a range does not work yet. That would be a good feature request though.
The Portal is planned to be changed by a Dashboard, so made the feature request there: https://github.com/threefoldtech/tfgrid_dashboard/issues/105

@scott has just developed a script. I tested it today. looking good. Wait for Scott to anouce the script in forum.

Wow, it’s news to me that the new dashboard will supersede the portal. I thought we were just getting a separate uptime and minting report tool. This might explain why the existing portal hasn’t been getting much love.

Yes, I’ll announce and release soon (thanks for the patch by the way, @Dany). Anyone interested in further testing in the meantime please shoot me a message on Telegram (@scottyeager).

1 Like

Is getting public IP’s configured still a pain? Wondering if I should wait until that process is easier.

Hey FLnelson,

once you know how it’s done… configuring public IPs is not a big deal.

First of all… make sure that the physical network setup is correct. You will need a second NIC port where the public IP will be assigned to. Also make sure that router/firewall is configured to route public IPs to the second NICs and vice versa the second NICs can reach the public IP gateway. Little hint: don’t use port redirection and/or NAT or stuff like this… just simple routing.

As far as I know there are 3 ways of public IPs use cases.

(1) public IPs assigned to a farm where those are available for workloads that book public IPs. Public IPs can be assigned to farms by using the grid portal. Navigate to “farms” unfold “farm” unfold “public IPs” and click on “add”-button. Enter public IP (cidr format) and gateway in (ipv4 format). For adding multiple IPs at once you can use a little script @scott has developed (don’t know if the final version is published yet… but I can give you at least a beta-version that’s working).

(2) a fixed public IP assigned to a specific node. This use case makes a node a “Wireguard access points” (see)

(3) a fixed public IP assigned to a specific node together with a subdomain pointing to that public IP. This makes a node a TF gateway. According to @scott it is recommended to have one gateway per farm/location.

For use cases (2) and (3) I had to use polkadot UI because there is/was a bug in the grid portal. Maybe this is fixed now with the revised portal. In portal navigate to “farms” under “Your Farm Nodes” go to the desired node and click on the little globe icon on the rigth. There you can configure a fixed public IP and a subdomain for that node. If the bug is still not fixed you will have to use polkadot UI and do the configuration there as described here: Public network config (threefold.me). I had some trouble with polkadot UI in the first place (see). This post here explains how to fix this. Once you got it configured in polkadot UI the configs will be shown in grid portal instantly.

EDIT: when assigning a fixed public IP to a specific node you will have to reboot that node in order to make changes take place.

6 Likes

Excellent overview, @Dany. This all looks correct to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi, could you please share how can someone get a block IPs like you have. Where are these available and pricing? Thanks

You would have to cash your isp and ask for one, pricing is going to be isp specific.

Hey @nooba, in case you are running your nodes at home (or elsewhere) where you have a regular “consumer” internet connection you propably won’t get a block of public IPs. Mostly you will only get one public IP provided by your ISP which would be used on your routers WAN side. To provide public IPs to your nodes you would need much more. Multiple public IPs are often only available with “business” products/contracts from ISPs. Also the world is running low on public IPv4 adresses. Not kidding, see: What is IPv4 Run Out? — RIPE Network Coordination Centre. Also public IPs are not cheap. F. e. we have to pay approx. 350 EUR per month for a block of 254 public IPs.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know. Good to have a clue on what we arr talking about.