StarLink Integration with ThreeFold Grid

Greetings from Canada, ThreeFold family! Now that I’m here where StarLink will be tested and deployed first, I’d love to be educated on how the TF Grid integration will work with this and perhaps other satellite systems. We do not have cell phone service where we are, which is great for 5G -free zone yet not so great for working virtually.
We’ve assembled a team here and will start with Farming, yet how will that work (again) with the satellite internet model vs the cable/router system?
Thank You for helping my team and I be prepared to share ThreeFold with Canada and Elon :wink:

5 Likes

Hi @anna thanks for the good question!
@weynandkuijpers already wrote up 2 letters to reach Elon Musk, I think he’d be the perfect person to chip in here!

3 Likes

The letters @weynand wrote can be found here:

2 Likes

Hi Anna, nice to hear from Canada. As you can see I see great opportunities for Starlink and Threefold to bring better services to remote places. What about organising a zoom when you have access to connectivity? We have not yet had our hands on Starlink equipments but the working assumptiom is that is works similar to a domenstic connectivity product like ADSL or fibre to the home and therefore it can service farms in remote areas.

Let me know how you would like to connect and dicuss further, really looking forward to it. :rocket:

7 Likes

Hello All,

Keep me posted whenever you’ll progress on this.
Can you see if he already read this message on medium?
Maybe it’s a good read for him during his coffee…

Kr,
Oele

1 Like

I was watching some videos where elon discussed how routing is handled. He described a system where the ability for information to know which route is faster is present, this presents massive potential. integration of the threefold peer network into the Starlink system would represent over 2000 ground based routing stations all ready in place and able to route traffic for the starlink technology. This is the type of break through that would truly allow for a mesh network to flourish. Essentially all clients could be connected to starlink for reliability but be supplemented by a ground based mesh network in any situation where that exceeds the bandwidth of starlink.

Ultimately this would create one network encompassing all of the ground based ISP that host 3nodes currently supported for fail-over by starlink. this would truly enable the peer to peer internet. but the question is how do we get Elon’s attention?

2 Likes

Has anyone ever tried hooking up a 3node with StarLink?

I could possibly try a small 3node on a StarLink system, if Threefold would find this experiment worthwhile.

Nice idea to bring this back up on the feed @ParkerS

Perhaps by setting 3nodes linked with StarLink and publish a video online :wink: ?!

1 Like

the setting of the planetary network, adding a node with a gateway configuration that is connected over Starlink would be the only way to “add the network to the grid”. I do not believe public ips are available on Starlink yet though.

Though their is a yet unexplored option for network failover/balancing specific to the planetary network that could bridge multiple ground isps and starlink.

When your planetary network address is created it generates a cryptographic key pair and the IPV6 address you see and use is truly just a representation the public key from that pair. when you click the connect button outgoing tunnels are created to what should be the closest gateway to you with performance able to support your connection. This allows all devices that are connected to be reachable by the network from outside their local network and enables the additional forwarding capability available.

• Being able to add multiple internet connections to a Threefold Gateway could add the ability for the 3nodes themselves to be able manage connection failures drastically reducing the configuration needs for the farmer.
  • A Threefold Gateway with “Bare-metal” access to multiple internet connections could be configured to function as decentralized internet exchanges, whether that be in partnership with a locality to supply service to residents, or where I.S.Ps themselves can exchange tft for bandwidth on eachothers network this how ultimately the routing of all end user traffic could handled by one worldwide central grid as a layer on-top of the modern internet.

For Instance I have Three Major I.S.Ps available at my location, I could have three separate lans and a Threefold Gateway node that has a Public IP Address on each of the three networks.

The gateway then allows the traffic to transported on any of the available I.S.P networks on grid dynamically. This creates a mesh where traffic can be routed to any client on any network using only the fastest and most reliable connections, with 1000s of fail over possibilities. mesh networks have been around a long time and they have never gained traction, what the grid offers is what has never been possible though, a mesh network that doesn’t really on individuals to configure it properly and can constantly adapt to new technology. each of nearly 3000 nodes currently on the grid represent a router capable of forwarding traffic across one of literally 1000s of ISP networks

1 Like