Raspberry PI Node Setup

Has anyone been able to set up Zero OS on a raspberry PI I have been trying for a few days now . I would hate to go the virtual machine path and use an zero os as an iso :thinking:

The team has experimented a bit with running Zos on Raspberry Pi, but supporting ARM is not a priority at this time. Note that VM’s running Zos don’t farm tokens. The intended use is sitting on bare metal, 64 bit Intel/AMD machines.

2 Likes

Since this question continues to come up from time to time, I thought I’d write a bit more about why Pi support has not been prioritized.

ARM

The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM chip, which has a different instruction set than Intel/AMD processors. This means that software must usually be ported or recompiled to run on a Pi. That includes Zos itself, creating additional work for our already very busy development team in shipping and supporting the OS.

Limited resources

Within the last generation or two, the Pi has become a truly powerful machine that can stand in for a desktop computer and handle a large variety of specific or embedded application. I know, because I have a live looping music setup that’s powered by a Pi and open source software :slight_smile:

If you’re into Bitcoin, Umbrel on a Raspberry Pi is a great way to run a node at home, and our partner Presearch has released their decentralized search node for the Pi too. For a single and specific application, it’s a great device.

That said, the ThreeFold Grid is a general purpose network designed to host all kinds of workloads. Our focus for now is on supporting machines that can provide the greatest utility in creating a true alternative to centralized and corporate clouds. That means machines that support fast, reliable internal disks and larger amounts of RAM.

As the Grid evolves and ARM devices do too, it’s quite possible that supporting the Pi and machines like it will make sense. ThreeFold is striving towards a community driven and decentralized model, which means this initiative could ultimately come from someone like you :wink:

1 Like