[Postponed] Submit your questions for the Wednesday September 15 Ask Me Anything (AMA)!

Edit: As the questions we received for the AMA are extremely specific, we’ll instead answer those directly. And we’ll be re-scheduling the AMA for next week, with more of a focus.

amawide

Please use this thread to ask your questions for this Wednesday’s AMA!

Questions submitted until 12pm CET on Wednesday September 15 will be answered. Based on the number of questions received, we’ll do our best to keep some time open for live questions during the AMA itself. Thanks so much and see you then!

Here’s the meeting link. We’ll be using the open-source video conferencing solution Jitsi this time around.

Note: You can also submit questions by clicking on the “comment” icon at the top of our AMA announcement but questions submitted here will receive priority.

2 Likes

Hi ThreeFold team,

I have four nodes 3xDIY HP gen8 Micro-server, Intel NUC10i5FNH, SuperMicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F (energy efficient server board) and 1x3Node Pluto V2.
HP one does have TPM but is not v2, this version Intel NUC does not have a discrete TPM chip, but does support Intel PTT(fTPMv2), and I’m not sure about my Pluto V2, does it have TPMv2?

My questions:

1. Am I going to be able to certify the 2xDIY nodes that comply with TPMv2 (fTPMv2) Intel NUC & Supermicro one and presuming they cover minimum hardware requirements later on?
  2. Will you going to grant access for importing the keys required for ZOS integrity and the TFchain operations on DIY nodes TPMv2(fTPMv2)?
  3. What will be the process to certify the DIY home farming nodes as the requirements should be quite different in uptimes and SLAs compared to the professional-backed datacenter-hosted nodes?
  4. Does Pluto V2, have TPMv2, is it certified? Off-topic me and my friend almost gave up on our first 3Nodes and future 3Node purchases because of the super long lead times and delays.
  5. Is it possible for DIY farmers to use part of their own resources for eVDC and their own projects or that’s not possible because of the decentralized architecture eVDC distributed load/resources on multiply nodes?
  6. When new and more gateways in geo-diverse locations on will be available on mainnent? Now we have 9 in total 7 are in the US, 1 in Canada, and 1 in Belgium.
  7. Could you extend or add a functionality Node down/up for the mainnet on the registered farmer’s mail or push notification via Threefold connect app for farmers? This will be of a great help for the TFGrid as it will increase uptime by reducing the response/fix times of the down nodes by providing better TFGrid SLAs.

Kind regards,
Martin

1 Like

Thanks for your questions, @ml! Since they’re quite detailed and specific, we may answer these directly rather than on a large AMA forum. Let me check in with the farming team.

Confirmed, someone will get back to you here ASAP! :pray:

Hi @gosam,

Not urgent at all! But appreciate yours and the TF team’s time and efforts.

Cheers,
Martin

1 Like

Hey Martin,

please see inline the answers to your questions. Let me know if you have any further questions aka me being unclear;)

All the best,
Andreas

1. Am I going to be able to certify the 2xDIY nodes that comply with TPMv2 (fTPMv2) Intel NUC & Supermicro one and presuming they cover minimum hardware requirements later on?

Answer: Right now we need physical access to the node in order to certify it but we are working on a solution which enables remote certification. We have no fixed timeline on when this will be available as all our resources are focused on getting Grid V3.0 out of the door.

1. Will you going to grant access for importing the keys required for ZOS integrity and the TFchain operations on DIY nodes TPMv2(fTPMv2)?

Answer: See answer above.

1. What will be the process to certify the DIY home farming nodes as the requirements should be quite different in uptimes and SLAs compared to the professional-backed datacenter-hosted nodes?

Answer: See answer for question 1 and the requirements for certified nodes which do not sit in a datacenter will be lower than for datacenter hosted nodes. We will define those requirements before we launch Grid v3.0.

1. Does Pluto V2, have TPMv2, is it certified? Off-topic me and my friend almost gave up on our first 3Nodes and future 3Node purchases because of the super long lead times and delays.

Answer: Pluto’s are not certified as by then we did not have certification in place. But it can be certified in the future once we have remote certification in place.

We are aware of the long lead times and therefore we are changing the model for the next batches. That means there will be a certain amount of nodes available per region which can be shipped immediately. Similar to what you see on Ebay - for example: 20 nodes sold, 30 available

1. Is it possible for DIY farmers to use part of their own resources for eVDC and their own projects or that’s not possible because of the decentralized architecture eVDC distributed load/resources on multiply nodes?

Answer: Right now only the resources from certified nodes in datacenters are used for eVDC deployment. Given the performance and SLA needed for eVDCs this will not change in the near future.

1. When new and more gateways in geo-diverse locations on will be available on mainnent? Now we have 9 in total 7 are in the US, 1 in Canada, and 1 in Belgium.

Answer: Currently all web-gateways are run and owned by Threefold. This will change once we roll out the network farmer program in October. Expect to see then way more web-gateways available globally.

1. Could you extend or add a functionality Node down/up for the mainnet on the registered farmer’s mail or push notification via Threefold connect app for farmers? This will be of a great help for the TFGrid as it will increase uptime by reducing the response/fix times of the down nodes by providing better TFGrid SLAs.

Answer: That’s a great idea. Will bring it up to the developers.

1 Like