P2P Video Conferencing

Utilising decentralised networks for video conferencing would bring back privacy where it threatens us the most. It chills me the most when I think people can end up having access to our private conversations and moments, and then using that against us.

I personally believe as users of the internet, every person deserved the right to feel safe and private .

Time and time again we’ve heard cases where social media companies analyse and track our online behaviour, and not only make their most revenue off of it, but also use it against us in the form of advertisements and curated content to keep us on their surveilled platforms for longer.

“The Zoom app notifies Facebook when the user opens the app, details on the user’s device such as the model, the time zone and city they are connecting from, which phone carrier they are using, and a unique advertiser identifier created by the user’s device which companies can use to target a user with advertisements.

It is not implied how Zoom proves that as a company they would never have access to online video communication between its users, but the idea that all these loopholes are always in privacy policies, never makes me sure and trusting in that service.

Even if Zoom provides us with an exceptional service that’s currently relatively unmatched, the result is that I’ll always feel still uncomfortable knowing that my behavioural data will be commodified.

How does everyone feel about the safety and privacy of their online activity?
Do enough people in the world care about their own digital privacy? I have personally met countless people that are nonchalant about privacy issues. Is this a shared problem that’s big enough in the world that a solution is greatly in need?

Not just for us, but for everyone.

4 Likes

Great post, brother.

When it comes to the privacy situation, obviously it bothers me but I do agree that many people are nonchalant in this respect but I think this will change more and more as the world continues to wake up.

We for sure need a P2P / decentralized video conferencing solution. And not just for the privacy issues raised here but also re: energy consumption and also bandwidth and storage limitations. These days, with hundreds of millions of people in some type of quarantine and video conferencing booming, this problem is becoming quite clear.

1 Like

@gosam Could not agree more!

Re: energy consumption - I believe the majority of the world is not well aware of the negative environmental effects that the internet and it’s accompanied massive data centers have.

But you know we’ll definitely be doing our part on raising constant awareness.

#ifnotnowthenwhen

1 Like

Seems like they are listening…

1 Like