How to set-up your own 3Node

Hey Scot,
I figured it out. For some reason my ethernet cable had issues. I am glad I tested that. It is now working. Thank you for you comment.
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by Grid2 and Grid3?
Also if I want to build another DIY Node, do I need to use another email?

Ah, good to know. Generally issue with network connectivity show up earlier in the boot cycle, so this was instructive for me, thanks.

We have recently releases a major update to the Grid, thus v2 and v3. Reviewing this post, it’s still referencing Grid 2, so that’s probably where you’re at. I’ll add a note to this post on that. Migration to Grid 3 is still optional, but we’re encouraging DIY farmers to go ahead. Details here.

For your next node, you can actually reuse the boot file or generate a new one based on your same farm id. No need to start over or use any different info.

I will check the new version. I think the community would appreciate a step by step guide on migrating to V3 just like the guide above.
Just to confirm I can have the same 3bot name, the same email and the same farm ID for different nodes? Also if I reuse the same boot file, will it automatically create a new Node ID for the new system?

Yes, you can have as many nodes as you want on the same farm, using all the same info. Each node creates its own node id when it boots up and stores it to disk. The farm id is on the USB drive and the node id never gets stored there.

1 Like

One last question. Can I have multiple nodes at the same location?

Yep, multiple nodes is fine. In that case, you’ll want to consider having sufficient bandwidth for the amount of capacity you’re providing. Check this thread, which I’ll update with some thoughts shortly.

1 Like

Hi, just booted a little Xeon server on v3 Testnet, following the instructions (https://library.threefold.me/info/manual/#/manual__tfchain_portal_ui_farming).
I cleared all HDDs and added a blank SSD.
Got the message: “node is not registered” (farmer 143: wrong farm id) and “no ssd disks detected”, see screenshot
20220122_215404
What went wrong here, please???

20220122_214140
Boot USB started up fine and completed in a few minutes

Following this. I am having the same problem with my new node that I just set up.

1 Like

update: after another clean run of the disks, I got my ssd recognized after boot.
But still getting “node is not registered” (farmer 143: wrong farm id) message.
20220123_144047

Alt-f2 log shows the issue with the farm registration:
20220123_144616
how long does it take to get registered here? Anything I can do??

Update 2:
I just created a new farm under my v3 Twin and loaded a boot image for Mainnet/Production.
This loaded within minutes correctly:
20220123_161743

so it seems there is an issue with the Testnet Bootstrap image to register you correctly on testnet…

Update 3 and ISSUE CLOSED:
I registered my TWIN on Mainnet - portal.grid.tf
So you can only register a Farm and nodes on Mainnet with a Twin on Mainnet.

If you want to set up a node on Testnet, you need to start with a Twin on Testnet
https://portal.test.grid.tf/

Make sure you select the correct corresponding choice also on the Bootstrap site:
Mainnet: https://v3.bootstrap.grid.tf/

There is still an issue because from a mainnet Twin and Farm, the link
Bootstrap node image: Take me to bootstrap page
takes you to https://dev.bootstrap.grid.tf/ and defaults to Testnet…

So, don’t get trapped & confused:
Main, test and devnet are 3 different chains / grid stacks with each service like the portal having its own url

Many thanks to @bertcoesens and @muhamadazmy (@azmy) for clarifying the issue

I made the same mistake since the testnet loads by default.
Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

interestingly, I got the node on Mainnet up and running in a few minutes.
I created a new Twin on Testnet and created a testnet-Farm.
The node there fails to register, with an interestinf error message:
“…Transaction is temporarily banned”
20220123_231550

20220123_231453
Strange message…

I think there’s an issue with testnet TF Chain. The Polkadot UI seems unable to connect.

Thanks for reporting @pkgraz2. I’ll open an issue for this.

Can we please sunset or modify the title of this thread? It is messing up newbies since the main post is outdated.

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I added a note to the top with an intention to come back and edit with Grid 3 instructions. I think editing the title might change the slug and break any links here, so I’ll just clear out the Grid 2 info for now.

1 Like

Hi all. I have followed all the V3 instructions diligently and made sure I created the correct bootstrap image for production etc, but when I boot - I still get the “node is not registered” message in red, even though it has recognised my farmer ID and name.

Alt-F2 says “failed to get node from twin: node not found” but I cannot see how to create a node twin within the polkadot interface. I have managed to create the farm - just not the node?!

Any help would be fantastic please.

Hey there, the node twin is actually created by the node itself and this process can take a bit to complete. How long have you waited at that message? Did you wipe the disks before booting?

Hi Scott. Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I have left it overnight so it’s been about 10 hours?! Yes I wiped the drive, although it was brand new. I have tried to rebuild it a few times as initially I used Go Farmer - which gave a different Farm ID, this Farm ID wasn’t recognised. I then created new bootstrap media using v3 having created a twin farm, entered the new farm ID - now the farm ID is recognised but not the node. I didn’t re-wipe the drive between rebuilds. Any advice would be great please?!

Best is to have a look into what is happening with the node. Did you try to connect a monitor to your node to see what is happening ? Alt-F2 to see the logging.