How to prepare your farm for the farmerbot with WOL

Seems like you need one node with the Farmerbot active, then it will wake up the other nodes.

1 Like

Can we get an update how the testing is going and an outlook when to expect WoL on Testnet…

Correct. Currently you can only deploy one farmerbot for each farm, so the farmerbot can only run on one node.
I’m not sure if it’s this specific node (where the farmerbot is running) that will wake the others, but @brandonpille might know.

Exactly. We will use the nodes in the farm to send WOL packets to the node that needs to wakeup. That’s why we need at least one node to be on at all time. It is also the reason why the nodes have to be on the same LAN.

You are correct when saying there should be only one farmerbot per farm and it should be running all the time or not at all (this is up to the farmer). Though you can run the farmerbot anywhere you want, it doesn’t have to be on that specific node.

Our tests have been successful the past couple of days so the farmerbot is ready to be used on qanet. Unfortunately we ran into a small issue yesterday. By mistake we introduced a bug into dashboard which makes it impossible for you to create a farm on qanet and thus won’t allow you to start testing the farmerbot. Our team is working hard on it. We’re almost there :muscle:

2 Likes

Is it possible to create a short “how to” setup video?

Farmbot doesn’t have to be a node, does it?

@GEN

I’d say it does. From the post:

“Your farmerbot will run on a ZOS node of your choosing within your farm, but remember it has to be in the same network subnet as the others that your farmerbot will manage!”

(EDIT: see brandon’s answer below, the Farmerbot doesn’t needed to be a 3node.)

Well the video would be very simple. You just have to modify the bios settings. Move your nodes to qa net and then follow this tutorial for running the farmerbot. You can always reach out to me if something isn’t working.

1 Like

No indeed. It can run on anything, it could even run on a laptop so to speak. Just as long as it has an internet connection it will be fine.

2 Likes

Thanks @brandonpille for clarifying this.

Qa-net dashboard issues have been resolved, everything seems functional again.

1 Like

Thanks @linkmark and @brandonpille

For people reading this post, we summarized many advice and steps for the farmerbot in this forum post:

Thanks everyone for your help on this project.
The community is very good at helping each other out!

Oh yes, ctrl+s is the way to go for activating WoL on my Dell PowerEdge R710.
Been looking all over the bios settings. Great Tip!

Thanks @colossus and @jakubprogramming for this information and confirmation.

I will add a QnA in the Farmerbot this. Tricky thing when you don’t know the trick!

Thanks.

Please note:

For any support-related requests, reach out to our support team on the live chat in the TF Connect App or on www.threefold.io.

Specific to farmerbot-related questions / issues, please make sure to send us the farmerbot logs. Without these, we can not investigate any possible issues.

Kr,
Sabrina

Update:
ctrl+s does not work on all PowerEdge R710 Servers to activate WoL.
In fact I’ve been trying to find the correct menu on a different R710 to activate this for more than an hour yesterday. Tried all the menus that exists, F2, F10, F11, F12, ctrl+r, ctrl+c, ctrl+s…
Even looked all over the iDRAC 6 web-interface. Without success. I am sure the NIC supports WoL, but I can’t seem to find any way to activate it. All my R710s run the latest bios 6.6.0, but only on this last one I am unable to find the WoL settings.

Update 2:
After doing a NVRAM reset on my PowerEdge R710 I was finally able to activate WoL using ctrl+s at boot. I followed this video to do the NVRAM reset.

2 Likes