How to better organize this forum?

Hey everybody,

I’m taking a high level look at this forum, and wondering how we can make it more accessible. Currently there are 13 main categories with many more subcategories. Even if you know a lot about ThreeFold, it’s still overwhelming (at least for me it is).

What are your thoughts? Fine as it is, or is a reorg in order?

These are the essential categories in my mind:

• ThreeFold concept and values
  • Farming
  • ThreeFold Token
  • Grid technical discussion, testing, and support
  • Solutions on the Grid (Cloud and Digital Twin)
  • Contribution Circle
3 Likes

Agreed. Let’s re-organize!

Less is more. :slight_smile: Applied your suggested changes.

Looks good! Thanks for getting it done :slight_smile:

Hi Scott and everyone reading this post!

I think this post has a great opening question and I thought this next proposition was fitting to its theme.

About the forum’s categories, the forum in itself does not have a category. It would be nice to have a Forum Category where people could talk about the forum in itself! Then it could be improved with the community input.

For instance, many people on Telegram channel argue that the Forum is not really fluid.

I think I might have an idea to get this more fluid. Could we simply add this feature to the forum:

When people reply to a comment, the reply gets under the comment, and can even folds if more comments follow (like on Reddit or Youtube). I think it’s hard as of now to read a post and get a good “feeling/intuition” of the conversation’s flow when replies are simply added linearly in time.

So as a graph tree, there would be a thread of the main comments, and individual threads for each series of replies per main comments.

As of now, it’s hard to get a good quick idea of who said what to who.

I hope it’s a good place to post this.

Have a good day!

Just an update with this proposition.

I see that the forum now (or before and I didn’t see it) includes a reply button to see the replies.

One thing that could be improved, if the community agrees, is not to have duplicate as such:

forum_duplicate

On the picture: comment duplicated “And what is on the sticks?” is there in the replies and in the general thread

The context and the messages are not relevant here. It’s just to show that you can see in replies what others say after your comment, but then the replies are still present in a linear fashion on the post.

I would propose to only have the replies. So comments are not duplicated.

This should improve the forum’s flow and allow a more natural interaction between members.

I like the suggestion about a place within the forum to talk about the forum (but then do we need a place within the forum to talk about the place within the forum for talking about the forum? :rofl:). Maybe as a subcategory of this section would work well.

Regarding the way replies are displayed, I’m not sure I ever noticed or used that feature for unrolling replies from a given post. I think it’s useful to have both views. If replies didn’t appear in the main thread, they would be effectively hidden unless you knew where to look. In the case that topics are getting to cluttered and hard to follow, it’s probably a good sign that a new thread of discussion is needed.