How Threefold compares with other projects

There are a lot of projects on this new world of internet and blockchain and this is very good!
But some projects are almost a copy of others. This only waste resources and weaken the entire ecosystem.
As they say the union gives strength, and i think we must unite for win over centralized ecosystems with a lot of money beyond and don’t care about real people and there’s necessities.
In this topic i will be glad to see how Threefold goes side by side with other projects. And what we could learn from them.
How for example start with FLUX?

1 Like

HI @warrior. Thank you for the suggestion. I do agree bundling forces between projects makes the decentralization movement stronger and there are a few out there. You suggestion, flux, is possible. FLUX uses bare metal Linux as a base OS or a VPS (VM) on any of the major clouds…

So - if you have any good contact into flux I am happy to speak with them and introduce the ThreeFold grid as one of the option to run flux on. Since they choose (at this point in time) to allow any bare metal install (that meets the requirements) but also any VPS (VM) on any existing cloud to be used to enhance the FLUX network, ThreeFold is a very good option to help them spread beying the existing clouds (and not depend om people operating and maintaining bare metal servers with Linux OS’s on it).

Let me know, happy to engage! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Flux, as far as I know, is the only similar project. There are a lot of projects that look similar to an outsider, but are really very different. While I am not an expert on Flux their main differences are it is MUCH more well known, they are proof of work, and they require collateral.

I think it was a pretty weird choice to choose to make it a POW coin and the collateral requirement kills it for me. But they did some things right. Check out that nice website for example. Decent market cap and liquidity as well.

1 Like

Threefold goes a step beyond Flux also:

• the decentralization has been built into the Operating System. Where with Flux you can have a workload running on one node, the OS update of Linux into Zero-OS allows to run workloads going over multiple nodes, Kubernetes clusters, …
  • also the QSFS is unique, as data can be spread over different farmers, making it for a farmer impossible to hack into their own hard drive. A hard requirement if you want to be sure the data is end2end secured, esp. to attract workloads where personal data are stored (like for applications in health, finance, …)
  • … next to the overlay network implemented into Zero-OS, making the communication between these collaborating nodes fully secure

Also the architectural choice to only run on dedicated hardware substantially improves the reliability from a user perspective.

5 Likes

Also worth noting the very underpowered, overprices nodes they sell. I can’t image a lot of people wanting to rent cloud space on a network of SBC’s.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/flux

1 Like

This is a nice table to have the big picture:

telegram-cloud-photo-size-1-4992430991318559621-y

from http://litepaper.threefold.me/

2 Likes

I found this chart fully public (and updated to 11/2021) at the bottom of https://gettft.com/gettft/ aswell

2 Likes

Thank you for participate on this tread!
I think another positive thing is a strong community and a lot apps! You could see it on their DISCORD channel.

Thanks for sharing!
But I think you already know this: I think without a physical network of our own (Helium, RevoFi, etc) we are always one step away from seeing our efforts plunge to the ground.
The Internet, and I’m in it when we still had modems on a phone line, is a space of freedom. The centralized operators have turned it into walled gardens and we are the sheep in them. They build the networks, and governments can always force an ISP (Internet Service Provider) to deny us access.
Because of all this, I love the THREEFOLD project, and from the bottom of my heart, I want it to succeed!

4 Likes

Are Helium and RevoFi not also dependent on the ISP? There used to be a lot of worry in Helium that the ISP’s would block them.

I’ve tried them all, I think, at one time or another, and here I am today. You don’t know me, but some random internet dude says the project who’s forum he is on is the best. Lol. Getting the 3-bot out of peoples way some is a big step in usability, I think. And I think it has been made better or is gone or drastically changed since I first started playing with this project longer than I can remember ago.

Thank you for asking.
We are all dependent on ISP…by now!
When we have a big network of our own we could bypass the ISP in the eventuality they or a government close our access.

Thank you to take time, to explain the advantages of TF over Flux.

1 Like

Another project to give access to the internet, by sharing hotspots with others is WiCrypt.
Sorry if I bother for talk so much about internet access. I think it’s complementary with the TF project!
By the way, are some TF nodes in China?

Completely agree, I always share the same! We need mesh networks to create alternative routes to other peers!

(excuse the offtopic) These are some cool projects I’ve been looking into besides the most famous (propietary somehow) Helium:

1 Like

Thank you my friend, for share that vision of a universal mesh network!
Some of them I already read about and same I have studied.
And don’t know if it wasn’t better open another thread dedicated to the construction of the Universal Threefold Mesh network (UTM)!
What do you think?

By the way, one more project here, but I don’t think it has moved for some time!

1 Like

Hello, here I am again.
Do you know a similar project like Threefold named ScPrihttps://scpri.me/me?

That’s not similar to TF!! They provide storage… nothing else.

1 Like

Thank you for participating on this discussion.

On this topic I will bring attention to another project: the Internet Computer (ICP). (What?! See this video.)
There is an impressive project, but cause me some worries in special the centralized nature of NNS (you could see more here). But comment and let us know your thoughts about the all project and how it compares with ours (ThreeFold of course)!
Thank you to all of you.