Having our simulator available on major mining calcualtor websites

Crypto miners use ROI calculators to chose what coins to mine, one of the largest sites is whattomine.com.

Since this isn’t “mining”, we don’t have hashrates so it would be a little different than the standard coins on the site, but I think we could fit under this link https://whattomine.com/calculators

The caveat? We need to listed on Binance, Bitfinex, BitForex, Bittrex, CoinEx, DoveWallet, Exmo, Gate.io, Graviex, HitBTC, Hotbit, TradeOgre, Poloniex or Stex.

Something to keep in mind if/when we get on one of these exchanges.

2 Likes

Excellent idea!

If we are to share the simulator outside of Threefold, we clearly have to fix issues pertaining to it though.
Such as this one: TF Simulator Issues

Great post @FLnelson!

IIRC nice Hash is about hash rates ie proof of work mining, are you sure they would even list threefold? I don’t believe there are any iOT projects currently displayed on whattomine

Yeah it would be a stretch. Either way I’m buying some ads there next week.

2 Likes

I am not sure adding the simulator to major mining calculator websites is a good idea. For every project I have been involved with it creates a scenario where resources are deployed excessively until the point that the project becomes unprofitable for everyone involved. I like the organic feel of this project and think it is great that people seem to find it and can use the simulator to make decisions that is best for them and the project. I also cringe that ROI calculators don’t factor in difficulty as more people jump into the project.

At this point is there a need to increase the capacity of the grid? I am thinking the focus should be on utilization.

This is true. We should not have a massive unused grid as that does not make the planet better. But - there is this thing of having “enough” critical mass to be able to service serious workloads and be inspiring communities to be using this fabric of capacity instead of the market leaders.

And for that type of adoption we should have “significant” presence in multiple market and not see as a nyche / fringe project. So extending the grid (in large steps), communities, wind and solar farms, countries will allow us to have that reach and footprint to be seen as a real contender in the current compute and storage cloud market.

And believe me, there are more people than you think actually using the grid for all sorts of use cases and projects. Most of them are not very vocal about it while they are preparing their business case(s)…

2 Likes

What can we call a critical mass 5k or 10k nodes.

Yeah, if we get a large network we will be too large to ignore. Maybe capacity is a better way to measure a critical mass.

I think we need to think bigger than that. Let’s compare it to how he node number would translate in the traditional model: a central datacenter. Some simple math around a 15k node grid:

• 1 rack = 20 nodes (simplified)
  • 15k nodes / 20 = 750 racks.
  • 750 racks need approx. 2.5 sqm (25sqft) per rack. so a floorspace is needed of 1875 sqm / 18750 sqft and that requires an additional 50% floorspace foroffices and power and cooling facilities. so 2500 - 3000 sqm / 25000 to 30000 sqft.

This is only a small datacenter. One small datacenter is not going to be noticed against the massive footprint of the large clouds, it is going to be considered to be a local/regional player. And let’s assume (I am taking the liberty here to just throw out some numbers) you to be called significant you need to have 10 of these datacenters at strategic locations.

So for the grid to be considered significant and al alternative we have to get to up to 10x 15k nodes… In various locations, on all continents (ideally) and close to communities that have difficult access to the market leaders. So we have some way to go… :slight_smile: Which is great news for farmers around the world.