Farming Reward Calculation

Hi @jvsc0. Good question and we have not yes an answer to it. We have received similar questions specifically for SSD and HDD expansaion (see here).

So for now there is no facility that will take into account hardware upgrades and increase (or decrease) the monthly rewards received. The things to consider to get to an answer to you question are:

• does adding (or taking) hardware to an existing 3node reset the 60 month period?
  • does adding (or taking) hardware to an existing 3node reset the start token price?

For now we have the simple reasoning that all hardware added is there for 60 months and when you want to add hardware, add a complete new 3node. This might change going forward, as you might know we are establishing a DAO and this is a very good topic for a DAO to vote on.

In my opinion (I work in healthcare, so it’s worth what it is :joy: ) it would make sense that if hardware is added (or removed) from a node, there should exist some kind of mechanism to verify this (every month?) and readjust the rewards accordingly, but keeping the original token price. It would prevent someone from trying to time token price (when adding or removing hardware) and reward correspondingly to the hardware that is effectively contributing to the grid.

From what I understand, at this moment, if I add or remove hardware, the grid creates a new node, as if the previous one was taken offline, right?

Thanks.

If I read this right this is big news for a lot of us. We have been operating assuming our hardware upgrades are automatically factored into our rewards. If this is not the case, myself and many others need to wipe our upgraded nodes and re-register to the network. Let us know soon, its the beginning of the month and a good time to do this if we need to.

3 Likes

I agree that this is a big news for farmers in general. It may not apply to everyone but it can have negative effects.

I had read that adding hardware (upgrading the 3node) was viewed as a good thing from the Grid’s perspective. In that case, it should be welcomed.

Yes, that plays a big role. I was setting up my farmer today to see if everything is working correctly before my other part arrives, does that mean I will have to wipe our node again to get the number updated correctly?

So to be clear, recently bought an additional 640GB RAM to have a better Memory/Core ratio on some servers but this will have no impact as the current specs are locked in with regards to calculated rewards?

Nor can the nodes be “re-registered” with the new specs, because if I understand the following correctly on Does it make sense to recreate my node when the price drops?

• Doing the effort of disconnecting, wiping and reconnecting is also useless, as your node will always be linked to the first time the hardware connected. A TPM will always reveal the ‘identity’ of the hardware, so Zero-OS will be so smart to recognize the hardware, and will make the link with previous boots. This will be enabled in one of next releases.

I know the post says, it’s not been enabled, so does that mean that right now we can still wipe / re-register nodes to have their HW updated?

Or am I missing something?

TPM in zero-os has not been enabled yet, or at least not announced. I would wait for clarification before we re-register anything. Obviously it’s vital that our 1000’s in capital is properly recognized. I’m sure they would prefer we didn’t so maybe an update to is in order. I’m rather fond of my low number nodes and would hate to lose them.

1 Like

Yes, let’s double check this before wiping out node ids. My impression is that upgrades are registered as such on TF Chain and nodes should mint for the capacity they are providing in real time. I’ll look into it after the weekend.

2 Likes

In this case - I hope I am wrong … :slight_smile: Will also cross check myself.

1 Like

So I was wrong in my statement. Every increase in hardware (capacity) is automatically taken on board in the next minting round. No need to re-register. Hope this takes away the confusion I caused.

7 Likes

Excellent!

Thanks for the update.

Much appreciated

Lot of questions unfolding “Threefolding” that is. :slight_smile: and things are getting clarified.
As for what i understood by now:

1. Static IP - not needed - Public IP option viable only for “data-centers” with lots IP addresses
  2. Certified - not very clear if I can get my node certified, or if there is any certification procedure.

another question just pop to my mind.

What will happen if i change my provider ? Will it compromise my node in any way? - it should not but… still don’t mind me for asking.

You are correct on the static IP. Although your ISP may be able to give you some at home, but it is unlikely.
Currently, certified refers to Titans. No way for DIY to get certified currently.
Changing ISP’s should be a non-issue.

Speaking of farming rewards, is there’s a specific payout date? I have had a node online since Jan 31 and have yet to see anything populate on my end in my Threefold Connect app. Would love to get it sorted in the event I did something wrong in the initial set up 5 weeks ago

V3 rewards are running behind, today or tomorrow probably. It is scary the first time not knowing if you set it up right.

5 Likes

This V3 payout is underway, Bear with us, it will be complete in the next day or two.

10 Likes

Still nothing on my end. About to bring 2 more servers online so I just want to make sure I have the right setup for my nodes :slight_smile:

I can confirm that V3 payout was done by the guardians yesterday. So if all is well with your farm (right address specified) the tokens should have arrived in your wallet. Please see here for the message stating V3 minting is done and what to do to check your farm details.

Hmm I have no change in my account then. Time for some detective work!

I have 3 farms running now (all on separate ones, not sure if its better to just make 1 farm per machine or run all machines on the same farm).

One is a VM (which I don’t expect payouts from, was just testing to see), one is a R620, and one is a PC tower that I had laying around.

Here’s my account, I’ve had it active since Jan 31
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.26.40 AM

Here are my farms which are active in the explorer
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.43.46 AM

My wallet address does match my TFT Connect address
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.46.31 AM
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.48.06 AM
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.47.29 AM

I tried using my hardware wallet via ledger to the VM one which I wasn’t expecting anything from, ironically that’s the only one that had any activity even though it’s minute
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.33.50 AM Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.33.39 AM

Here’s where things get weird.

Here’s my TFT Connect wallet address

Below it has Asset balances which is 0 on this screen
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.03.18 AM

However clicking on that shows 118XLM
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.03.58 AM

This is my Ledger Stellar Wallet address. And it shows an asset balance here:
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.07.38 AM

I believe the AC47 Wallet address is my TFT address on StellarX, as I can swap those assets here in stellarX:
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.26.51 AM
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.17.03 AM

It’s just weird because ONLY the VM is going to my Ledger Wallet address, and it should not have generated any TFT, yet it did…

Sounds like I messed up some things with my testing, as I have no activity on the machines that are actually working properly. If there’s a way to consolidate all of these wallets (or even just start over) such as pointing them all to my Ledger wallet or my TFT Connect that would be ideal.

Now I do have all of these in a datacenter behind some firewalls, if I need to open up ports to allow traffic please let me know and I can put in the request into IT to make sure it’s available (I did have all of these working at home in the first half of feb before moving them to the data center).

Anyhoo, thanks for entertaining my long rant and detective work, just want to make sure I’m doing this right now so I can set it and forget it and contribute to the network!

Thanks!

Hi - looking into the situation, not a the bottom of it (yet). But: you have had 2 times an an amount of TFT, see here on the stellar explorer

But in your screenshot that stated Farm-VM the linked stellar payout address is another one than the one that has received the 2 payout. The *Farm-VM" address starts with GDWK.... and the address that received the two payouts starts with GAQT..... So they are two different addresses. I guess the GAQT.... address is linked to one of your farms with physical servers.

Please check and let me know!