Farming Reward Calculation

I also think there should be a better balance in rewards with capacity and actual use. Now the rewards are mainly driven by the on capacity. Only there is not taken into account if the capacity could actually be used for the network. So there could be a situation where there are many rewards given to 3nodes which have a high capacity but cannot contribute this capacity to the network, because there bandwidth is way to small. Besides the rewards, this can also give a distorted picture of the capacity of the network that can actually be used.

I agree with idrnd to show in the calculator the ratio between bandwidth and capacity of CU and Su. And it would be really nice if the calculator would show what the bandwidth would be if the CU and SU from the calculator are fully used. If the needed bandwidth is visible in the calculator, there could be looked if the rewards are in line with the capacity which could be really used. Since from that moment people are able to see what the required bandwidth is for their setup. At this moment this is unknown, so you can’t blame them.

2 Likes

There is one thing which promotes “proper” balancing between hardware and network resources available to the farm / 3nodes:. the farmed tokens are staked up to the point where a farmer is getting capacity consumption over 30%. See here. So I would expect that nodes that have a poor connection are less sought after than 3nodes that are well connected. And when tokens are staked and redeemable/usable for the farmer I would hope he figures out a way to make his farm be used more.

For this mechanism to work - we do have to report on the connectivity number/quality of the farm for capacity consumers to be able to make their decision.

1 Like

Hi, just made my first farm.

I have a question though - few that is. Why in the Farming Reward Simulator total amount of TFT is multiplied by 60? (=F43*60) is it because of staking for the period of 5years? Can that factor vary or is fixed @x60 for farmers? …can someone just buy and stake or this is farmers exclusive?

I must say i did not went in to details and might have missed something.

Thumbs UP for the project though. I hope it will make some difference and be a success.

Thak you.

1 Like

It seems that one use case for threefold nodes with typical residential network connections is for computationally heavy workloads that don’t need to transmit data overly quickly. Scientific research, video rendering, etc. Threefold makes me want to figure out how to get my municipality to get a fiber optic cooperative started

1 Like

Hello and welcome :wave:

First off, any spreadsheet calculators are now outdated, and I’ll update the original post to reflect this. The only up to date simulator at this point is the online one at simulator.grid.tf.

In either case, five year reward totals are shown because rewards are fixed for five years under the minting v3 model. Nodes that continue farming after five years will have their rate reset according to current TFT price at that time.

Staking of rewards is for two years or until the node reaches 30% utilization for three months.

Congrats on getting your farm online, thanks for supporting the project, and let us know if you have anymore questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. However I think the answer to my question was in the question. …if that makes any sense :blush: x 60 is actually 5years x12 months =60

So even in the simulator in advanced section “Total Farming Reward In TFT” value is actually per month value. So for example if that field for the DiY option calculates a value of 2.500 the end quantity of the tokens after 5years(or 60months that is) will be 2.500 x60 =150.000TFT - …if al parameters stay the same in that period I mean all other things considered.

“Total Farming Reward per month In TFT” would have been nice to avoid confusion. :slight_smile:

correct me if I’m wrong here.

Hurray for the community and the Threefold project !
I hope It will have a significant impact in future. Will stat my second farm 320gb RAM, 40vCores, 6TB NVME. Happy farming to all… :smiley:

2 Likes

I have question about the farming rewards, I think it fits on this topic.

If I have a node, already farming, and I upgrade (e.g.) the RAM, will the monthly rewards be upgraded accordingly or will it stay the same for the five years?

Thanks!

Hi @jvsc0. Good question and we have not yes an answer to it. We have received similar questions specifically for SSD and HDD expansaion (see here).

So for now there is no facility that will take into account hardware upgrades and increase (or decrease) the monthly rewards received. The things to consider to get to an answer to you question are:

• does adding (or taking) hardware to an existing 3node reset the 60 month period?
  • does adding (or taking) hardware to an existing 3node reset the start token price?

For now we have the simple reasoning that all hardware added is there for 60 months and when you want to add hardware, add a complete new 3node. This might change going forward, as you might know we are establishing a DAO and this is a very good topic for a DAO to vote on.

In my opinion (I work in healthcare, so it’s worth what it is :joy: ) it would make sense that if hardware is added (or removed) from a node, there should exist some kind of mechanism to verify this (every month?) and readjust the rewards accordingly, but keeping the original token price. It would prevent someone from trying to time token price (when adding or removing hardware) and reward correspondingly to the hardware that is effectively contributing to the grid.

From what I understand, at this moment, if I add or remove hardware, the grid creates a new node, as if the previous one was taken offline, right?

Thanks.

If I read this right this is big news for a lot of us. We have been operating assuming our hardware upgrades are automatically factored into our rewards. If this is not the case, myself and many others need to wipe our upgraded nodes and re-register to the network. Let us know soon, its the beginning of the month and a good time to do this if we need to.

3 Likes

I agree that this is a big news for farmers in general. It may not apply to everyone but it can have negative effects.

I had read that adding hardware (upgrading the 3node) was viewed as a good thing from the Grid’s perspective. In that case, it should be welcomed.

Yes, that plays a big role. I was setting up my farmer today to see if everything is working correctly before my other part arrives, does that mean I will have to wipe our node again to get the number updated correctly?

So to be clear, recently bought an additional 640GB RAM to have a better Memory/Core ratio on some servers but this will have no impact as the current specs are locked in with regards to calculated rewards?

Nor can the nodes be “re-registered” with the new specs, because if I understand the following correctly on Does it make sense to recreate my node when the price drops?

• Doing the effort of disconnecting, wiping and reconnecting is also useless, as your node will always be linked to the first time the hardware connected. A TPM will always reveal the ‘identity’ of the hardware, so Zero-OS will be so smart to recognize the hardware, and will make the link with previous boots. This will be enabled in one of next releases.

I know the post says, it’s not been enabled, so does that mean that right now we can still wipe / re-register nodes to have their HW updated?

Or am I missing something?

TPM in zero-os has not been enabled yet, or at least not announced. I would wait for clarification before we re-register anything. Obviously it’s vital that our 1000’s in capital is properly recognized. I’m sure they would prefer we didn’t so maybe an update to is in order. I’m rather fond of my low number nodes and would hate to lose them.

1 Like

Yes, let’s double check this before wiping out node ids. My impression is that upgrades are registered as such on TF Chain and nodes should mint for the capacity they are providing in real time. I’ll look into it after the weekend.

2 Likes

In this case - I hope I am wrong … :slight_smile: Will also cross check myself.

1 Like

So I was wrong in my statement. Every increase in hardware (capacity) is automatically taken on board in the next minting round. No need to re-register. Hope this takes away the confusion I caused.

7 Likes

Excellent!

Thanks for the update.

Much appreciated

Lot of questions unfolding “Threefolding” that is. :slight_smile: and things are getting clarified.
As for what i understood by now:

1. Static IP - not needed - Public IP option viable only for “data-centers” with lots IP addresses
  2. Certified - not very clear if I can get my node certified, or if there is any certification procedure.

another question just pop to my mind.

What will happen if i change my provider ? Will it compromise my node in any way? - it should not but… still don’t mind me for asking.

You are correct on the static IP. Although your ISP may be able to give you some at home, but it is unlikely.
Currently, certified refers to Titans. No way for DIY to get certified currently.
Changing ISP’s should be a non-issue.