DIY 3node Server Guide (Dell R620-720)

Yes. Those drives are compatible. Only m.2 and u.2 are not natively compatible and need an adapter. The caveat is if it has 2.5" bays those 3.5" drives will not fit. There are adapter to put 2.5" drives in a 3.5" bay. Caddies are inexpensive. You should also reflash the raid controller to IT mode.

Thanks, I have found a spare SATA power and data cable inside so i presume i can simply connect these to one of my HDD until i obtain a caddy.

If you have no caddy to set it up, make sure it wonā€™t move. HDD are sensitive to movement as they have moving parts in them.

OK set up and all seems good. Next question then is what speed of internet do i require to get the most from my new server. I believe it is running 24 threads with 256 GB of RAM.

Thank you

What is the bandwidth needed when it comes to running 3nodes on the Grid?

[This answer is temporary and serves solely as a general guideline. The community will soon have clearer and more official documentation.]

1. A 3node Titan needs a minimum of 1mbps internet bandwidth.
  2. For many Titans (2 to 5) or a DIY 3node with up to 30 TB of storage/8 vcores/64GB ram, a high speed internet is sufficient. (Between 10 to 100 mbps).
  3. A connection of 1 gbps is necessary for farms with multiple high capacity 3nodes such as 16-or 32 vcores and 128 or 256 GB ram servers (from 1 to 20 servers) or multiple Titans (6 to 40).

NB: Notice the gray areas between the three propositions. This goes to show that precise numbers are not yet determined. Using those numbers as a guide will set you in the good direction.

1 Like

Thank you. I did see that in the FAQ but I wasnā€™t sure if that means I need a 1gb connection. I have around 100MB

Well for now itā€™s perfectly fine. Proof-of-cultivation will demand more bandwidth than proof-of-capacity.

But as it said in the text, the requirements are not official yet.

Perhaps the DAO will settle that 100 mbps bandwidth is OK for a server with 24 threads with 256 GB of RAM.

Iā€™d say youā€™re fine with 100MB for now.

(Anyone correct me if you disagree!)

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news. Thank you.

What does flashing to IT mode do please. My server appears to be working correctly but I havenā€™t done this yet

If its working then probably donā€™t fret it. It bypasses raid.

2 Likes

Hi all, next question form me iā€™m afraid. I have just added a second hard drive to my server Dell R720 but unfortunately it is not being detected either in the BIOS or Tf Chain Portal. Are there any setting i need to change in the BIOS. I have previously cleaned the drive as in accordance with the guide on here.

Thank you

I would say step 1 would be to boot into a live linux and find out if you can see it there.

Thanks, could you point me to a guide on how i do that. Can i do it whilst the system is up using the Zero os ?

1 Like

Hey @gazgits,

letā€™s try to figure this out. As you mentioned hereā€¦

ā€¦ you attached your first drive to a sata cable that you have ā€œfoundā€ where the DVD-drive is normally connected. This cable bypasses the raid-controller and goes bare-metal to the board. So far so good as you stated yourself here.

Now you added another drive to the server. I guess you got yourself a caddy and attached the drive to the frontpanel backplane. That means that the drive is now connected to the raid-controller. By default the controller wants to handle the drives itself and they would never appear in bios unless you have created an array. But zero-os needs the drives bare-metal what means that you need the controller to bypass these drives directly to the board. Therefore you need to ā€œunraidā€ / ā€œnon-raidā€ the controller by reflashing it to it-mode like @FLnelson replied.

Please take a look at this postā€¦

Here is the link to the video mentioned there: Farming TFT on a Dell Server Running as Threefold 3Node - YouTube

1 Like

Hi Dany, yes that is exactly what i have done so far. I will now look into flashing the raid controller to IT Mode as FLnelson suggested. Thank you

1 Like