DIY 3node Server Guide (Dell R620-720)

Well I’ll be damn!!! Dany you should be a detective! hahahaha… all that trying to figure it out why it wont work and there it is, - I was trying to load and install the wrong file multiple times.
“Too much analysis leads to paralysis!” - guess… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Option 1 worked for me, ill be more careful if and when i do another one.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the compliments!

But let me ask you one more question. Your HDD drives are attached via USB? Is that correct?

Because… as far as I know… USB attached drives are not support by now.

Apart from the fact that it is generaly not supported your drives are connected via USB 2.0.
I know…you discribed that your HDD drives are in USB3.0 external cases… but the HP Proliant DL380p Gen 8 comes only with USB 2.0 ports. Unless you haven’t installed an PCIe-USB3.0-Card (which I highly doubt) these drives walk on USB 2.0 connections with a (theoretical) speed of max. 480Mbit/s. Well…I don’t know exactly what zero-OS is doing when initialising the drives but it has to do some way of partitioning which would take pretty long according to the transfer speed. I think this is the reasen why it takes so long to boot up.

No no, Dany i don’t use and i don’t plan to use USB ports.

I have few Seagate Basic 4TB portable HDD drive’s, and few WD also portable that i don’t use (sitting in my drawer - I’ve used them briefly for Chia farming) All of them have 2.5" SATA drives inside.

My plan for upgrade is to disassemble them in order to pull out the drives and put them in the SATA/SAS caddies I’ve already ordered.

In the system for the moment I only have 2x 2TB Transcend NVMe PCIe - MTE220S

Cheers

Ok… my fault. Got it now!

Bad news, you can’t shuck 2.5" drives. The usb slot is hard wired in, there is no sata slot. There are some exceptions depending on age and model, so double check. I found out the hard way.

Looks like the seagate should be shuckable. Not the WD. You can also pick up used SAS 2.5" drives uber cheap.

1 Like

Hello World Wide Web,
I have a problem with my threefold server from DELL (PowerEdge R620, 2x E5-2670 V2, 320GB DDR3, Dell PERC H310 Mini Mono 6Gb/s SAS RAID Controller), and it recognizes the Zero OS and BIOS itself, not the two hard drives , no matter if I test it with AHCI or RAID, both hard drives are connected via a PCIe adapter, (2x 970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB), and I did a test with W10 Setup and both hard drives were recognized without any problems, dan got I did it again with Kali Linux Live, everything was formatted in FAT32 again and both hard drives were recognized directly there too, but in the end when I start in the BIOS or Zero_OS, both hard drives are not recognized and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong and what I have to do I update the DELL BIOS because it might be too outdated or am I missing something else, please help or advice.

1 Like

Your mentioned AHCI or RAID config is for the onboard RAID controller and doesn’t affect your PCIe SSD. You can switch the RAID controller off.

I sounds like you formatted your SSD, but you need to wipe them. They need to be really “empty”

3 Likes

Sounds like you have linux handy, run — for i in dev/nvme0n1; do wipefs -a $i; done

then for nvme0n2

1 Like

Everything worked and many thanks to randynho & FLnelson for all the information, and both PCIe adapters were recognized without problems.

2 Likes

IMG_1798 PCIeIMG_1797

4 Likes

Hello, everyone,
I have one more question, my friend gets this error message and what is the problem with the CPU or main memory?

thumbnail_3F3B6CB1-0456-4F00-A30E-DEBF5B6B32A0

1 Like

Looks like an error coming from RAM Banks (or connection to the RAM) 7 and 11 of CPU 1.

I would first check the RAM, rotate it to another bank and see if the error the appears on the other bank.
Or remove the RAM above bank 6 and see how the system behaves then.

What system is it? Dell servers have different RAM options to choose in the BIOS. Choose something below “performance mode”.
Do you have different RAM installed?
A weak power supply also can cause weird hardware errors.
Overheating also…

2 Likes

We are four friends who are new to Threefold in general, have been in HNT, MXC, PLANETS Mining for a year now, and we all have the same 10x DELL servers PowerEdge R620, 2x E5-2670 V2, 320GB DDR3, Dell PERC H310 Mini Mono 6Gb/s SAS RAID Controller), the difference between me and my friends is that they all installed SSD, and I installed everything on M.2 but the game here does not matter, and back on topic, bought in bulk for more Get a discount, with a one year guarantee, all servers are refurbished by the seller.

He has now upgraded the RAM and now the system has been running for an hour with no problems, I also passed your advice to him to switch it to a different bank and see if the error occurs on the other bank.
Or remove the RAM via bank 6 and see how the system behaves then.

And what exactly do we have to consider now with RAM options in the BIOS? That the system, such as with Windows or NVIDIA, under performance mode, installed on safe electricity and under no circumstances energy-saving mode? So in general, set maximum performance for the RAMS in the BIOS?

And we have meters on the outlets and we’re very careful about the heat build-up on the servers, and the level is between 18-27°F°C per server, and the power draw varies between 94-144 WATTS. And are these normal values?

And I have another question about the node itself, how do I save it to an external USB stick? How can I read or access the data?

Seems like on of the RAM modules was broken. Just wanted to complete it with the gift for temp or other "environmental circumstances ".
I got pretty much the same config. Bought it on Piospart?

And what exactly do we have to consider now with RAM options in the BIOS? That the system, such as with Windows or NVIDIA, under performance mode, installed on safe electricity and under no circumstances energy-saving mode? So in general, set maximum performance for the RAMS in the BIOS?

As you know… we have 6x DELL R620 running. We didn’t adjust any RAM settings in BIOS. This should be done automatically unless anyone has done some weird settings manually.

And we have meters on the outlets and we’re very careful about the heat build-up on the servers, and the level is between 18-27°F°C per server, and the power draw varies between 94-144 WATTS. And are these normal values?

That’s pretty normal. power consumption is about +/- 100 Watt in idle. Temperatures inside (according to iDRAC) between 23-34 °C.

And I have another question about the node itself, how do I save it to an external USB stick? How can I read or access the data?

Take a look her: Farming FAQ Zero-OS v3 -> “Is there a way to backup my node ID in order to restore a 3node if the disk with the node ID gets corrupted or breaks down?”

1 Like

Bought it on Piospart?

Jep! :wink:

but wait… “upgraded the RAM”?? The maschines came with 320GB allready installed. Is this one of “our” servers?

How are you Dany? And I’m the guy with the glasses (Andrej), the very thin and small guy, how cool is that that I meet you in the forum, I’ll update the whole BIOS in the coming days, and all the hard drives with the, Samsung Magician when the data leak is over and then I will also connect to the iDRAC and thank you very much my friends for providing us the machines so cheaply and smoothly and we really adore yours fault, and I only ask one thing, please give me your cell phone number so that I can contact you directly, because Maik is currently very overwhelmed with everything, he also has a child and a wife, and first has to take care of his company , and I’m the one who manages everything for us and takes care of everything for you, and keeps track of everything, and I ask you very much to order machines for us again, because we still need 5-10 of them, and it’s done really very simple everything like you it you also explained everything perfectly, and I thank you very much for that, and please write me a PM

Hi all, i am now looking at purchasing a Dell R720. It does come with plenty of memory but unfortunately no hard drives or caddies. I do have several Sata HDD 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives. Will these be compatible and do i need the caddies?

Thank you