Dfinity = Threefold?

Hello,
Just wondering if you know Dfinity, and what the difference is from your point of view.
Seems they do about the same?
Kind regards.
P

1 Like

Hello allusion,

It’s always very difficult to compare technologies. For dfinity it is even more complicated as their technology seems to be still work in progress, and for the moment I can’t grasp the technology behind their ideas.
We can already say that we have a live working product available for an end user, which is compatible with the most common practices in the IT sector (containers, Kubernetes, networking over TCP/IP, Linux-compatible OS), but adds full-fledged privacy, security and decentralization to it. Our vision is that only working on the very lowest level, close to the hardware, creating a distributed Operating system and making a full separation between the infrastructure and the data and workload running on it, you can build in the privacy and security that the internet desperately needs. Building the technology to achieve this is not an easy task and has, in our case, been worked on since early years 2000, also within previous companies of our founder.
From what I can read on the dfinity website, they intend to create a data center ecosystem of independent providers. But without an autonomous system behind, it seems difficult to me to have all these data centers working together and work at the edge, close to end users. Next to that, I don’t see in their description something like our 3Bot digital representation, where the user has full control over his digital activity. In our vision, this would really be a missing piece, as true decentralization is about handing to every user on the grid the keys to manage his own digital activities.
We have made a try to compare our technology with the technology of others in compare.threefold.io. Feel free to comment so this comparison sheet can be improved.

3 Likes

Hi allusion,
Ive looked at DFINITY some time ago, and let me add some thoughts from my side regarding our difference:

1. All ThreeFold Tokens are result of farming - when IT capacity (hardware) joining the grid.

2. In terms of releases - not sure regarding available functionality for DFINITY (currently they are in v0.6.12), but its still early days. ThreeFold is planning its 2.3 release this month to the mainnet and ThreeFold Ecosystem already have multiple applications and websites deployed on ThreeFold grid and publicly available.

3. In terms of size of the grid - DFINITY is supported by one independent Swiss-based datacenter. ThreeFold has 80+M of GB and 11k+ cores connected to the grid in 20+ countries (total cost of hardware connected is above 15M USD).

4. As far as I understand, (was hard to find information on DFINITY nodes) DFINITY will run on top of existing infrastructure. In case of ThreeFold - how we achieve such tremendous performance and cost advantage comparing to any existing alternative - we rebuilt from scratch everything - OS, storage, networking, etc with completely new architecture paradigm in mind.

5. Applications on DFINITY have to be developed using DFINITY’s SDK (usding their Motoko or libraries for other languages). ThreeFold Grid provides you ability to develop new types of applications with full benefit of ThreeFold technology - data ownership, cost reduction, unprecedented security and speed, but on top of this ThreeFold Grid is compatible with almost any existing linux-based workloads and applications, supports deployment of docker containers, virtual machines and is kubernetes-compatible. It means that most of existing applications can be migrated in a drag-and-drop fashion from existing cloud providers onto ThreeFold Grid.

But, it is really important to keep in mind that ThreeFold is not a competitor for DFINITY. We are more suitable for collaboration with DFINITY and other blockchain projects. ThreeFold Grid can add tremendous value to DFINITY, Blockstack, Filecoin, and other similar projects if they will start running on top of ThreeFold Grid instead of existing infrastructure. ThreeFold Grid’s capacity is autonomous and can solve scalability vs decentralization dilemma for all blockchain projects.

Please let us know if we missed anything or if you feel anything should be corrected.

3 Likes