Can you add storage to your node over time?

Hi, I’m in the process of making my own node. From what I read, once you boot zero-os, your hardware configuration is automatically detected. Is it possible to make modifications to the hardware after zero-os is installed? Is it possible to add more storage for example. Add ram? Make improvements to your node? As long as it doesn’t interfere too much with your uptime. That’s what I’d like to do. To add more/better storage over time.

Also is it worth it for the network to add many very fast nvme modules? Or just one is enough and the rest can be slower ssd or hdd? Thank you!

I was able to add more hard drives and it was auto detected, but just a heads up the 3bot deployment system is very glitchy and needs to be continually checked up on.

Ok, thanks for the response. I read somewhere in the documentation that once you set-up your node you have a value assigned to your node that would stay the same. A kind of a productivity score base on your storage, your cpu and your ram. I can’t find where I read that. It was in the ThreeFold documentation somewhere, but I can’t find it. Anyway, I just want to make sure that if I had value to my node, it will help my farming. If I add 1 gb of ssd, my “productivity score” and my rewards should improve accordingly.

These are good questions. It is true that added capacity should be automatically recognized by Zos and added to your rewards calculation. I’ve also read that a node’s reward rate (assume same hardware) gets fixed for five years when it comes online. So question is, does changing node hardware reset the calculation entirely, or just change how many CU/SU are included at existing rate. Perhaps @andreaspow can help with an answer.

@landshark, do note that you only need your 3Bot online for farm creation and management. It is not required for ongoing farm operation. Can always check status at explorer.grid.tf.

2 Likes

Good questions and I am interested in the answer also. It would be nice to upgrade a component without having to get a full new system or Node running

1 Like

I have verified: when a node first comes online, it’s rate per CU/SU is set for five years. This means that adding more storage or RAM will simply scale up the node’s earnings.

2 Likes