Setting Up Your Playground
The Threefold Playground is a Decentralized, user facing interface that allows users who have little to no coding ability to access the resources that have been developed for the grid. This interface uses a Browser-Based Polkadot Extension to extend the users Blockchain identity to their browser allowing management of Industry-standard VPS deployments as well as use case specific tools that have been developed by the Decentralized Community interacting only with the Blockchain itself.
In order to access the play interface you will use the PolkdaDot-js Extension, Once you have this extension you will have a couple options on how to create your wallet,
- If your strictly looking to deploy and have an existing stellar wallet, creating one in the browser extension is a great option.
- Threefold also offers an integrated solution to your grid identities and wallets with the Threefold Connect App available for Android and IOS
- Creating your wallet in the Threefold Connect App, then importing that wallet into a 3rd party interface allows you to manage all stellar based crypto currencies from one wallet address, the recovery phrase from threefold connect can also be imported into the Polkdaot-js basing all of your grid functions from a single wallet.
Once you have Created your wallet and imported it into the Polkdaot-js extension, you will visit the Threefold Dashboard Here you will Agree to the Grids Terms and Conditions and Create your Digital Twin, this is your identity on the grid and represents you as deployer or a farmer. This also will be the account that the TFT you intend to use for deployments will be held in. Once you have Accepted the Terms and Agreements you proceed to create your profile on the Playground
- If you did not use the Threefold Connect App to create your wallet you will need to use Swap function on the dashboard to retrieve the stellar deposit address of your Digital twin. you can do this now while your on the dashboard, or you can do it after creating your deployment profile. be sure you use the address and memo for twin deposits
Once you arrive on the Playground you will click the gear in the top right icon and create your deployment profile, this is how the interface knows what Twin is creating and managing the deployments being created and you will need a couple pieces of information.
- Profile Name: this will be the name of your deployment profile, you can have multiple profiles representing different wallets, solutions, or access levels,
- Mnemonics: These are the words from the wallet you created in the extension or the threefold connect app.
- Public SSH Key: This where you put the text of your .pub ssh key file that coincides with the private key you wish to access your deployments with. This key will be added to the known hosts of each deployment and typically represents how you will initially gain access to your deployment.
After Creating your profile, it will load the twin id you created in the Dashboard and generate a QR code that allows you to transfer your funds from the Threefold Connect App wallet onto your deployment profile. If you are using a third-party wallet the QR code may not be functional in your wallet, you can go to “swap” on the Dashboard and retrieve the Wallet address and memo for depositing to your twin from any stellar wallet address. be sure you use the address and memo for twin deposits
Deploying on the Threefold Playground
With a Fully Setup Profile you now have access to deploy any of the VPS solutions available on the playground on one of thousands of nodes located across the world. The flagship deployment solution is the industry standard Ubuntu VPS Full VM. This solution provides you the ultimate flexibility to deploy your solutions on the grid’s hardware. with the recent addition of Full-VMs you can now truly say that if you can do it in Linux, you can do it on the grid. you can deploy your VPS when you need it, where you need it, and you can delete it at any time with no lasting commitment providing the ultimate environment for deployment testing and prototyping of cloud solutions.
Customized Full VM Linux images can be created for the grid using the process here Manipulating Cloud Images for the Grid
Docker Hub images can be converted on the Threefold Hub
The Playground is also host to several use case specific deployments that further automate the deployment process of end-user solutions on the Threefold Grid. Many of these solutions are designed to allow everyday users to contribute to other projects that share the vision of a decentralized world. The Threefold grid is designed to support decentralization, not compete with other forms, and is intended to provide a solid hosting support infrastructure to both crypto-currencies and otherwise decentralization focused projects. Currently the grids deployment solutions include.
- Kubernetes is a portable, extensible, open-source platform for managing containerized workloads and services, that facilitates both declarative configuration and automation. It has a large, rapidly growing ecosystem. Kubernetes services, support, and tools are widely available.
- CapRover is an extremely easy to use app/database deployment & web server manager for your NodeJS, Python, PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby, MySQL, MongoDB, Postgres, WordPress (and etc…) applications!
- PeerTube, developed by Framasoft, is the free and decentralized alternative to video platforms, providing you over 600,000 videos published by 150,000 users and viewed over 70 million times
- Funkwhale is a community-driven project that lets you listen and share music and audio within a decentralized, open network.
- An open-source, self-hostable online chat service with file sharing, search, and integrations. It is designed as an internal chat for organisations and companies, and mostly markets itself as an open-source alternative to Slack and Microsoft Teams
- the 100% open source discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet. Use it as a mailing list, discussion forum, long-form chat room, and more!
- The free and open-source project management tool
For cross-functional agile teams to work effectively
A featured-rich software that offers a very simple start through its intuitive user interface.
- The free and open-source project management tool
- Control your data – always, anytime and anywhere. Deploy ownCloud on-premises, in a data center of your choice or in a hybrid setup. Regulations and certifications? Say no more. We keep your back! With multi-factor authentication, encryption and our elaborate file lifecycle management. Looking for 100% data ownership? Deploy with owncloud on Threefold
- Search privately, receive better results and get rewarded with the Presearch decentralized search engine, powered by blockchain technology.
- An on-chain data processing solution that enables Web3 builders to gain access to on-chain data on their own terms.
- a team of builders, entrepreneurs, academics, and leaders who believe strongly in the potential of a blockchain-enabled world. We’ve come together to steward the development of the Casper Network, a blockchain protocol built from the ground up to remain true to core Web3 principles and adapt to the needs of our evolving world. Come join us and help build the future.
- a simple Linux executable, making your deployment options endless. No command-line experience is required. Whether on VMs or bare-metal, anyone can run crypto nodes with Node Pilot. Entry-level friendly. Self-host or Cloud VPS.
Support For Your Playground Deployment
This Explanation is supported by multiple video tutorials you can find a master directory of the videos related to Threefold in the Gallery
Some Specifics videos for those getting started